Prosecutors Seek 5-Year Prison Sentence for Delivery Driver in Fake Fast Food Bomb Threat: "Serious Offense"
Obstruction of Official Duties and Business Operations with a False Report
"Particularly Egregious Nature of the Crime"
Previous Conviction for Murder Threat, Offense Committed During Probation
Prosecutors have requested a five-year prison sentence for a delivery driver who staged a fake bomb threat at a fast food restaurant.
At the sentencing hearing held on the 24th before Judge Han Sohui of the Criminal Division 10 of the Suwon District Court, prosecutors made this request regarding the case of a man in his twenties, identified as A, who was charged with obstruction of official duties by fraudulent means and interference with business operations.
The prosecution explained, "Although the defendant has confessed, he previously posted a false murder threat in a similar case and was sentenced to prison. He committed this offense again during his repeat offender probation period, which makes the nature of his crime particularly egregious. The degree of interference with official duties and business operations was severe, as 67 police officers were deployed."
In the closing argument, the defense attorney pleaded for leniency, stating, "It would be more effective in preventing recidivism if the defendant, who is deeply remorseful, could receive mental health treatment." A also briefly said in his final statement, "I am sorry."
On August 17 at around 1:07 p.m., A, while delivering an order to a fast food restaurant in Yeongtong District, Suwon, became resentful after being criticized by a store employee for a late delivery. He then posted on social media, "The staff is unfriendly. I will plant a bomb." He subsequently called 112 himself, pretending to be a witness to the post, and reported a suspected terrorist threat. He was later arrested and indicted on these charges.
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- [Breaking] Samsung Labor-Management 'Performance Bonus Negotiations' Fail in Third Mediation... Union Says "General Strike to Proceed as Planned Tomorrow"
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "Don't Throw Away Coffee Grounds" Transformed into 'High-Grade Fuel' in Just 90 Seconds [Reading Science]
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
As a result of this incident, the restaurant had to conduct a bomb detection operation, suspend business for one hour and forty minutes, and evacuate hundreds of building occupants in an emergency. During questioning, A reportedly stated, "I didn't expect it to escalate this much," and added, "I will never play such a prank again."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.