Prosecution Expresses Regret Over Distorted Claims Outside Court


Kim Yong, former deputy director of the Democratic Research Institute, protested that the prosecution's investigation into perjury allegations in the trial was aimed at obtaining an arrest warrant for Lee Jae-myung, leader of the Democratic Party of Korea.


Kim Yong, Former Vice Director of the Minjoo Research Institute <br>[Photo by Yonhap News]

Kim Yong, Former Vice Director of the Minjoo Research Institute
[Photo by Yonhap News]

View original image

On the 25th, Kim issued a statement saying, "It is a low and despicable tactic to solidify the frame of 'judicial obstruction and perjury' to obtain an arrest warrant for Lee Jae-myung, former presidential candidate and opposition party leader," and urged, "The political prosecution should stop the search and seizure against innocent citizens."


He explained that the 'alibi' presented in court was discovered as a result of acquaintances searching for schedules around the time of the alleged crime after he was arrested on October 19 last year and launching a rescue effort. Around December last year, Shin, director of the Gyeonggi Energy Center, informed him of the visit to the Gyeonggi Market Promotion Agency (GMPA) with Kim Yong on May 3, 2021, based on Google calendar records.


Initially, when the prosecution indicted, the timing of the illegal fund receipt was specified as around April 2021, so there was no need to pay attention to this schedule. However, the situation changed when the prosecution specified the timing as the afternoon of May 3, 2021, at the court's request in April. Accordingly, Shin and former GMPA director Lee confirmed the visit, after which Shin submitted a fact confirmation letter to the court, and Lee testified, Kim explained.


He claimed, "The fundamental reason for the perjury allegations lies in the prosecution's failure to specify the charges properly, creating an incorrect timeline." He added, "Attorney Lee only provided the witness with natural and basic legal guidance," and said, "Summoning innocent civilians and a senior attorney attending court without even a summons, and registering them as suspects for perjury and perjury inducement is an act that denies and undermines the rule of law, the foundation of the Republic of Korea."


Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office.

Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office.

View original image

In response, the Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office stated, "We confirmed perjury charges against a witness for Kim Yong that clearly contradict objective evidence and have launched an investigation," adding, "We are investigating circumstances of organized involvement by multiple people and the fabrication of physical evidence." They emphasized, "Perjury inducement and use of forged evidence are serious crimes that disrupt judicial order, and the search and seizure warrant was lawfully issued and executed by the court."



They further said, "We regret the distorted claims made outside the court, alleging national disorder crimes regarding the lawful execution of the warrant issued by the court," and added, "We are thoroughly maintaining the prosecution against defendant Kim Yong and investigating judicial obstruction according to legal procedures, so the substantive truth will be clearly revealed through the trial process."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing