Unclaimed Deceased Person Stored in Freezer for 23 Days

The funeral of the late singer Choi Seong-bong is scheduled to be held belatedly.


Singer the late Choi Seong-bong [Photo by Yonhap News]

Singer the late Choi Seong-bong [Photo by Yonhap News]

View original image

On the 12th, Gangnam District Office designated Choi Seong-bong's manager, Mr. A, as the funeral organizer.


Until now, Choi had been classified as an "unclaimed deceased" because no family members appeared to take custody of the body, and he was kept in a hospital funeral home's freezer. Manager A decided to hold the funeral at his own expense. Mr. A told Star News on the 14th, "We plan to set up a funeral hall this Saturday," and said that fans would be able to pay their respects.


Choi gained recognition as the runner-up on the 2011 tvN audition program "Korea's Got Talent." Known as the "Paul Potts of Korea," he continued his singing career, releasing the album "Neurimbo" in 2014.


In 2020, Choi announced that he had been diagnosed with stage 3 colon cancer, prostate cancer, hypothyroidism, and thyroid cancer during a health checkup, and he launched a crowdfunding campaign to raise treatment funds. However, when suspicions arose that his cancer battle was fabricated, Choi admitted the allegations and apologized.



Later, on the 20th of last month, Choi left a message saying, "I sincerely apologize for my foolish mistakes and to those who were harmed. Now, I intend to pay for my sins with my life," and was found dead at his home in Yeoksam-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing