Korea: "Review Ordered Since September... Discussing Lifting Date at Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters Meeting on the 23rd"
Additional Work Commencement Order: "Will Decide Based on Set Criteria"

[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

[Asia Economy Reporter Ki-min Lee] Prime Minister Han Duck-soo hinted that the indoor mask-wearing mandate could be lifted as early as the end of January next year.


On the 6th, Prime Minister Han met with reporters at the Government Complex Sejong and said regarding the lifting of the mask mandate, "At first, many experts thought it would be in March next year, but if the indicators improve, it might be possible to do it a little earlier," adding, "At this stage, experts are proactively thinking that the conditions might be met around the end of January next year."


He continued, "If conditions allow, I want to take masks off quickly, but it should not negatively affect overall disease management," and added, "From an expert's perspective, at least the winter wave should pass before lifting the mandate."


The government will discuss the lifting of indoor mask mandates at the first public expert forum hosted by the Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency on the 15th. On the 23rd, the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters (CDSCH) meeting will review related quarantine indicators and discuss the timing of lifting the mandate. Prime Minister Han explained that he had instructed a review since September for the convenience of citizens who must wear masks and the mask production industry.


Regarding some local governments such as Daejeon City and Chungcheongnam-do announcing their intention to lift the indoor mask mandate from January 1 next year, he explained, "Measures such as mandatory mask-wearing can be coordinated by the Prime Minister, who serves as the head of the CDSCH."


However, he added, "Both the need for careful management and the public's frustration are opinions we all share," and said he would gather opinions through dialogue with local governments.


Regarding the fact that an additional work commencement order for the Cargo Solidarity was not discussed at the Cabinet meeting that day, he responded, "The government believes that labor-management negotiation issues should largely be left to the autonomy of labor and management," adding, "Work commencement orders will be judged based on criteria such as significant public harm."


On the International Labour Organization (ILO) requesting the Korean government's opinion on the Cargo Solidarity work commencement order, he said, "Generally, when the ILO receives a complaint, it notifies the government, listens to the government's position, and then conveys that to the parties involved. I understand it ends there," adding, "The government will prepare and submit its response soon."


Regarding Speaker Kim Jin-pyo designating the Special Account for Higher and Lifelong Education Support bill, which allows universities to use part of the budget previously allocated for kindergartens and elementary and secondary education, as a budget-related bill, he said, "Even if it is not a budget-related bill, it is urgent for the state to respond to local extinction," and "The most important thing is to have good educational institutions in local areas. All provincial governors want that. Those opposing it are a very small minority, those who have enjoyed existing authority and rights."



He particularly pointed out, "What do the people want? If there are people who give up on national balanced development policies, they need significant improvement."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing