'Additional Indictment' Jo Joo-bin Claims Prosecution's Abuse of Indictment Rights... "Hopes for 국민참여재판"
Telegram Doctor's Room operator Jo Joo-bin is speaking at the photo line set up in front of Jongno Police Station in Seoul on March 25, 2020. Photo by Moon Ho-nam munonam@
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Daehyun] Jo Joo-bin (27, male), who was sentenced to 42 years in prison for producing child sexual exploitation materials and distributing them on the Telegram ‘Baksa Bang,’ has been additionally indicted for another sexual exploitation crime and expressed his desire to have a 'citizen trial' at his first hearing.
At 2:05 p.m. on the 2nd, the Criminal Division 31 of the Seoul Central District Court (Presiding Judge Lee Jung-min) held the first trial of Jo Joo-bin, who was indicted on charges including violation of the Juvenile Protection Act (rape).
Jo Joo-bin appeared in court wearing a blue prison uniform that day. Jo Joo-bin’s side admitted to the charge of producing obscene materials but denied the charges of rape and forced molestation, claiming that "the sexual relations occurred consensually during dating." They denied the charges.
The court asked, "Looking at the written opinion submitted by Jo Joo-bin himself, it is difficult to understand its intent, but there is an argument that it could be seen as an abuse of prosecution rights," and asked, "Do you plan to make such an argument in the citizen trial?" The defense attorney said they would discuss with Jo Joo-bin and provide their opinion later. Jo Joo-bin’s side had previously expressed their intention to request a citizen trial before this hearing.
Regarding this, the victim’s representative appealed, saying, "The victim’s condition is very poor," and "I suspect the reason for wanting a citizen trial is to silence the victim." They continued, "Despite the difficult situation, the victim decided to testify in court, but (Jo Joo-bin’s side) applying for a citizen trial is causing psychological pressure on the victim’s side," emphasizing, "We hope the trial proceeds as a regular trial."
The court stated, "If the victim does not want it, the trial can proceed as a regular trial," and decided to hold a preparatory hearing on the 30th to hear opinions from both sides regarding the citizen trial.
Previously, Jo Joo-bin was brought to trial on charges of sexually assaulting a victim who was a minor in 2019 and producing sexual exploitation videos, in addition to the victims already known.
Meanwhile, Jo Joo-bin is also indicted along with Kang Hoon (21), known as ‘Buddha,’ for threatening three female victims in 2019 to take nude photos and receiving them (charges of forced molestation), with sentencing scheduled for the 24th.
On this day, the court asked Jo Joo-bin and the prosecution to provide their opinions on the prosecutor’s request to consolidate the two cases, stating, "Considering the progress of the trials, there is doubt about the necessity of consolidation."
Hot Picks Today
As Samsung Falters, Chinese DRAM Surges: CXMT Returns to Profit in Just One Year
- "Most Americans Didn't Want This"... Americans Lose 60 Trillion Won to Soaring Fuel Costs
- Iran Delivers New Ceasefire Proposal to U.S.; U.S. Says "Not Sufficient to Conclude Negotiations"
- Samsung Union Member Sparks Controversy With Telegram Post: "Let's Push KOSPI Down to 5,000"
- "Why Make Things Like This?" Foreign Media Highlights Bizarre Phenomenon Spreading in Korea
Jo Joo-bin was sentenced to 42 years in prison by the Supreme Court last October for threatening dozens of female victims, including children and adolescents, from May 2019 to February 2020, producing sexual exploitation materials, and selling and distributing them through ‘Baksa Bang’ (charges including violation of the Child and Youth Protection Act, forced molestation, fraud, etc.).
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.