Russian Gas Supply Halved Again... Grain Exports Also Threatened (Comprehensive)
Nord Stream 1 Gas Pipeline Supply Halved
"Grain Export Agreement Contains No Ban on Military Operations"
[Asia Economy reporters Kim Hyunjung and Lee Hyunwoo] Russia has intensified its resource weaponization strategy by further reducing natural gas supplies to Europe and continuing military operations against Black Sea grain export ports. This is interpreted as a pressure strategy to reduce Western military support amid a prolonged stalemate on the Ukrainian front.
According to the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) on the 25th (local time), Russian state-owned gas company Gazprom announced in a statement that the operating period of one of the turbines in the Nord Stream 1 pipeline, which runs directly from the Baltic Sea seabed to Germany, has expired, and it will halt its operation.
Gazprom stated, "With the additional shutdown of one turbine at the Portovaya compressor station, gas exports to Germany will be reduced to 3,300㎥ per day, half of the current 6,700㎥ per day." This amount is only 20% of the total capacity of the Nord Stream 1 pipeline.
Earlier, Gazprom reduced the amount of natural gas supplied to Nord Stream 1 to 40% of the total pipeline capacity from June 16, citing delays in the return of turbines repaired in Canada. If the supply is further reduced to 20%, the natural gas supply crisis in Europe is expected to escalate significantly.
Experts analyze that Russia aims to create political fractures in Europe through energy weaponization and maximize its influence on energy security. Simon Talia Pietra, a senior researcher at Bruegel, a European economic think tank, explained, "Russia is playing a strategic game. Maintaining a low level of supply rather than a complete cutoff is better for manipulating the market and optimizing geopolitical influence."
Following the pressure on natural gas supply, Russia is also exerting pressure by stating that military attacks on Black Sea ports related to grain exports may continue. According to Russian news agency TASS, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, during a press conference in the Republic of the Congo on the same day, said, "The grain export resumption agreement signed on the 22nd did not prohibit Russia's special military operations," and emphasized, "We have only targeted military objectives and can attack Ukrainian warships or anti-ship missile ammunition depots that threaten the Russian fleet."
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- [Breaking] Samsung Labor-Management 'Performance Bonus Negotiations' Fail in Third Mediation... Union Says "General Strike to Proceed as Planned Tomorrow"
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- Bull Market End Signal? Securities Firm Warns: "Sell SK hynix 'At This Moment'"
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
Previously, Russia agreed to resume Black Sea grain exports through a four-party meeting with Ukraine, the UN, and T?rkiye (Turkey), but just one day later, it drew international condemnation by launching a missile strike on Ukraine's Odesa port. With grain export resumption expected to fully commence within two weeks, concerns are rising that the agreement may collapse if Russia's military provocations continue.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.