Linda Thomas-Greenfield, United States Ambassador to the United Nations   <br>Photo by AFP Yonhap News

Linda Thomas-Greenfield, United States Ambassador to the United Nations
Photo by AFP Yonhap News

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Park Byung-hee] Linda Thomas-Greenfield, the US Ambassador to the United Nations, said on the 3rd (local time) that she hopes an additional sanctions resolution against North Korea will be put to a vote at the UN Security Council (UNSC) within May, according to major foreign media reports on the same day.


Ambassador Thomas-Greenfield said in response to reporters' questions about the vote on the North Korea sanctions resolution, "Our plan is to advance the resolution within this month."


Last month, immediately after North Korea tested an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), the US distributed a new draft sanctions proposal to the 15 UNSC member states. The sanctions include expanding the prohibited scope to all delivery systems that can be used for nuclear weapons, including cruise missiles in addition to ballistic missiles covered by existing resolutions. It also includes halving the annual export volumes of crude oil and refined petroleum to North Korea to 2 million barrels and 250,000 barrels respectively, and banning the export of tobacco leaves and tobacco products to North Korea. Some interpret the tobacco product ban as targeting North Korean Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un, who is known to be a smoker.


However, since permanent members China and Russia hold negative views on additional sanctions against North Korea led by the US, the likelihood of the resolution passing the Security Council vote appears low. For the resolution to pass, it requires the approval of at least 9 of the 15 UNSC members, including all 5 permanent members.


At the emergency Security Council meeting convened on March 25, immediately after North Korea’s ICBM test launch, China strongly argued against the US-led additional sanctions plan, stating, "No actions should be taken that worsen the situation." As a result, the Security Council was unable to issue even a press statement condemning North Korea and adjourned.



Ambassador Thomas-Greenfield also expressed concern about the vote outlook on the day, saying, "I am worried about the current situation," and added, "I hope the Security Council will speak with one voice to condemn North Korea’s provocative actions."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing