Father Who Threw 15-Day-Old Son Says, "He Didn't Sleep and Cried... I Want to Raise Him Again"
Prosecution Seeks 6-Year Prison Sentence
A baby sleeping in a hospital neonatal unit. The photo is unrelated to specific parts of the article content. Photo by Yonhap News.
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Na Ye-eun] The prosecution has demanded a six-year prison sentence for a man in his 20s who is accused of throwing his 15-day-old son onto a blanket and assaulting him because the baby would not sleep and kept crying. The assaulted infant suffered severe injuries including a brain hemorrhage.
On the 16th, the 12th Criminal Division of Daegu District Court (Presiding Judge Jo Jeong-hwan) held a closing trial for A (20), who was indicted on charges including violation of the Special Act on the Punishment of Child Abuse Crimes (child abuse causing serious injury).
A is accused of throwing his 15-day-old son onto a blanket and hitting his face three times on October 22 of last year because the baby would not sleep and kept crying.
The child assaulted by A suffered severe injuries such as traumatic acute subdural hemorrhage and was hospitalized, but is now receiving outpatient treatment.
The prosecution pointed out, "This is a case of repeated abuse of a child under 20 days old, who is in absolute need of parental protection," adding, "A inflicted injuries including a skull fracture on the child, causing life-threatening harm." They requested a sentence of six years in prison, along with five years of probation and employment restrictions for A.
A’s defense attorney appealed for leniency, stating, "The defendant vowed to raise his child well due to memories of being abused in his own childhood, but it appears he committed the crime because his wife is currently incarcerated and he is suffering from severe depression due to financial difficulties."
In his final statement, A said, "At that time, I was under a lot of stress and the child kept crying, so I couldn’t see the child clearly. I sincerely want to take full responsibility for the child, so if given a first and last chance, I will raise him."
Earlier, when the prosecution indicted the defendant in custody, they confirmed that he had no intention to raise the victim and that there was a high possibility of further abuse, and thus requested the loss of parental rights.
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "I'll Stop by Starbucks Tomorrow": People Power Chungbuk Committee and Geoje Mayoral Candidate Face Criticism for Alleged 5·18 Demeaning Remarks
- Woman Experiences Eye Protrusion After 20 Years of Contraceptive Injections, Plans Lawsuit Against Major Pharmaceutical Company
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
The sentencing is scheduled to take place around 10 a.m. on the 1st of next month.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.