COVID-19 Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters Meeting

Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum is presiding over the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters meeting on COVID-19 response held at the Government Seoul Office Building on the 25th. February 25, 2022. Photo by Yonhap News

Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum is presiding over the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters meeting on COVID-19 response held at the Government Seoul Office Building on the 25th. February 25, 2022. Photo by Yonhap News

View original image

[Asia Economy Sejong=Reporter Son Seon-hee] Prime Minister Kim Boo-kyum said on the 25th, "The peak of the (COVID-19 spread) is expected to occur in mid-March, and the number is estimated to be around 250,000," adding, "The peak is arriving somewhat earlier than expected."


On the morning of the same day, Prime Minister Kim chaired the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters meeting at the Government Seoul Office and stated, "What is clear is that we are rapidly approaching the peak of Omicron." He added, "Compared to other countries that have faced similar situations so far, South Korea shows relatively stable key quarantine indicators such as the number of critically ill patients, deaths, and hospital bed occupancy rates," emphasizing, "Essential social functions such as healthcare, transportation, education, and public safety are operating without disruption."


Prime Minister Kim said, "We will focus all efforts on enhancing the completeness of the restructured quarantine and medical system to respond to Omicron, which has high transmissibility but low fatality rate, and firmly establish it on the ground," adding, "It is urgent to reduce the excessive burden on public health centers, which are at the forefront of quarantine." He also announced, "Starting next Monday, 3,000 central government officials will be dispatched to each region, and an additional 1,000 military personnel will be deployed."


Furthermore, he said, "Identifying each confirmed patient's cohabitant and determining quarantine measures based on vaccination history is placing too much burden on public health centers," and explained, "From the 1st of next month, quarantine for cohabiting family members will shift to passive monitoring, meaning they will comply with quarantine rules themselves together with the quarantine authorities, while periodic testing will be recommended to prevent the spread of infection." However, he requested, "In the case of schools, since a two-week adaptation period for the new semester is necessary, different guidelines from the education authorities will apply until March 13."


With the new semester starting next week at various schools, Prime Minister Kim said, "Rapid antigen test kits will be provided to all students to ensure safety before attending school," adding, "If confirmed cases occur, epidemiological investigations will be conducted directly at schools, and mobile on-site PCR testing will be introduced to enhance testing speed." He also added, "The authority to operate academic affairs has been significantly delegated to school principals to allow flexible responses according to on-site situations in case of emergencies."



Prime Minister Kim stated, "No matter how fierce the wave of Omicron is, the learning rights and health rights of our children, who are our future, must be prioritized for protection," and requested, "We ask for the active understanding and cooperation of parents."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing