High-Intensity Social Distancing Likely to Be Implemented Starting Saturday
Considering the Urgent Quarantine Situation
High Possibility of Changes from the Usual Schedule
On the 15th, when a record high of 7,850 new COVID-19 cases and 964 critically ill patients were reported, citizens waiting to get tested lined up at a screening clinic set up at Songpa-gu Public Health Center in Seoul. Photo by Jinhyung Kang aymsdream@
View original image[Asia Economy Reporters Chunhee Lee, Jeongyun Lee, Juyoun Oh] The government is likely to include restrictions on the size of private gatherings and operating hours of multi-use facilities in the high-intensity social distancing measures set to be implemented as early as the 18th. This essentially means a return to the situation before November 1, when the ‘gradual recovery of daily life (With Corona)’ began.
According to the government on the 15th, the upcoming distancing measures will reduce the current private gathering limit in the metropolitan area from 6 to 4 people, and reinstate operating hour restrictions for multi-use facilities?except entertainment venues?that had previously been lifted, likely setting closing times at 10 PM or midnight. Some voices suggest that ultra-high-intensity measures exceeding level 4 social distancing, such as ‘allowing gatherings of up to 2 people after 6 PM’ and ‘restricting operating hours to 9 PM,’ are necessary to achieve policy effectiveness.
The timing of implementation is also expected to deviate from the usual schedule due to the urgency of the situation. Until now, adjustments to social distancing measures have been announced on Fridays and implemented from the following Monday for two or four weeks. However, this time, it is expected that the measures will be announced on the 17th and take effect immediately the next day. Considering the year-end and New Year holidays, the implementation period is likely to be set until the 2nd of next month, rather than ending on the 31st, two weeks later.
The medical community unanimously agrees that high-intensity quarantine measures must be implemented as soon as possible. Professor Eunmi Cheon of the Department of Respiratory Medicine at Ewha Mokdong Hospital said, "At this point, even the existing level 4 social distancing measures will not be very effective," adding, "Since confirmed cases have increased three to fourfold, stronger and longer social distancing is necessary."
Professor Jung-sik Eom of the Department of Infectious Diseases at Gachon University Gil Medical Center also criticized, saying, "After implementing With Corona, if the situation worsened, the direction should have been changed quickly, but it is hard to understand why they stubbornly continued," and added, "They should have secured the capacity to endure when hospital beds and medical personnel situations deteriorated, but they did not."
Members of the Korea Federation of Self-Employed Businesses Affected by COVID-19 held a "Rally to Condemn the Government and Ruling Party and Urge Real Compensation for COVID-19 Damages" in front of the National Assembly in Yeouido, Seoul, on the 8th, demanding substantial compensation for losses and the complete lifting of gathering restrictions. Photo by Kim Hyun-min kimhyun81@
View original imageHowever, the backlash from small business owners struggling with livelihoods amid the prolonged COVID-19 pandemic remains a critical issue. Although the government has mentioned ‘special measures’ several times, it has been extremely reluctant to impose restrictions on multi-use facilities due to concerns over further business losses for small business owners.
Upon learning of the government’s plan to reinstate social distancing, self-employed individuals have expressed widespread dissatisfaction. Lee (34), who runs a restaurant in Gangseo-gu, Seoul, said, "I thought I could finally breathe a little now that operating hour restrictions were lifted, but it feels like the sky is falling," expressing frustration, "Is this a death sentence for all of us?" Kim (30), who operates a cafe in Mapo-gu, also lamented, "Even with With Corona, sales recovery has been minimal," adding, "Sales will plummet, and I just don’t know what to do."
Hot Picks Today
If They Fail Next Year, Bonus Drops to 97 Million Won... A Closer Look at Samsung Electronics DS Division’s 600M vs 460M vs 160M Performance Bonuses
- Opening a Bank Account in Korea Is Too Difficult..."Over 150,000 Won in Notarization Fees Just for a Child's Account and Debit Card" [Foreigner K-Finance Status]②
- Seoul Home Prices Surge as Listings from Multiple Homeowners Dwindle... Largest Rise in 16 Weeks
- Lived as Family for Over 30 Years... Daughter-in-Law Cast Aside After Husband's Death
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
The government and ruling party have decided to prepare a systematic compensation plan for losses caused by the upcoming high-intensity measures. Prime Minister Kim said, "If the measures begin, we will also announce appropriate compensation plans for small business owners and self-employed individuals who must endure pain once again." Yoon Hojung, floor leader of the Democratic Party of Korea, also stated at the Central Election Countermeasures Committee meeting that morning, "We will establish an emergency infectious disease response fund for compensation," and added, "We plan to soon propose amendments to the National Finance Act and Infectious Disease Control and Prevention Act for discussion in the National Assembly."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.