In Court, "I Want an Objective Judgment" and Apply for a Citizen Jury Trial
"They Objectively Slander Me as a Heinous Criminal," He Says

Kang Yoon-sung (56), who is accused of murdering two women before and after damaging an electronic tracking device (electronic anklet), is being transferred to the prosecution from Songpa Police Station in Seoul on the 7th. Photo by Kang Jin-hyung aymsdream@

Kang Yoon-sung (56), who is accused of murdering two women before and after damaging an electronic tracking device (electronic anklet), is being transferred to the prosecution from Songpa Police Station in Seoul on the 7th. Photo by Kang Jin-hyung aymsdream@

View original image



[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Jung-yoon] Kang Yoon-sung (56), who was indicted for damaging an electronic ankle bracelet and murdering two women, claimed in court that some facts in the indictment were incorrect and expressed his desire to have a jury trial.


On the 9th, the 12th Criminal Division of the Seoul Eastern District Court (Chief Judge Park Sang-gu) announced that it would review the appropriateness of a jury trial for Kang, who was charged with murder and robbery-murder, and decide at the next pretrial hearing.


On that day, Kang said, "I want to be judged objectively through a jury trial," and added, "I was taking psychiatric medication during the first trial, so my mind was foggy. There are many exaggerated details in the indictment."


Kang initially said he did not want a jury trial at the first pretrial hearing on the 14th of last month but applied for one on the 2nd of this month.


Kang stated, "I have remained silent and admitted to avoid tarnishing the victims' honor," and said, "After a while, people say, 'He's not a murderer,' 'He's not a bad guy,' but objectively, I am not a heinous criminal, yet I am being vilified."


Chief Judge Park Sang-gu said, "It is possible to make arguments in a regular trial," and asked, "Since the jury will also decide on sentencing, have you considered all this before applying?" Kang replied, "I still want to proceed."


On that day, Kang pointed out parts of the indictment that were factually incorrect one by one but admitted to the charges of murdering two women.


Kang testified that on August 26, when he committed the first murder, he bought a knife at a mart, put it in a plastic bag, placed it under the driver's seat, and then took it to the victim's house.


He also stated that when he strangled and knocked down the victim?a detail not included in the indictment?the victim grabbed his vital area, and "in a moment of urgency, I took out the knife."



The court said, "Since you are disputing the facts of the indictment, it is difficult to decide on the appropriateness of a jury trial today." The court plans to hold Kang's next pretrial hearing at 10 a.m. on the 2nd of next month.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing