[Asia Economy Reporters Inho Yoo and Jieun Lee] The government has effectively proposed inter-Korean dialogue to North Korea on the premise of discussing the easing of sanctions against the North.


The Biden administration in the United States still insists on strengthening sanctions through the United Nations Security Council in response to North Korea's nuclear and ballistic missile tests and other military provocations, revealing a temperature gap between South Korea and the U.S.

Foreign Minister Chung Eui-yong attended the National Assembly's Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee's audit of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the 1st and responded to questions from lawmakers. Photo by Yoon Dong-joo doso7@

Foreign Minister Chung Eui-yong attended the National Assembly's Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee's audit of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on the 1st and responded to questions from lawmakers. Photo by Yoon Dong-joo doso7@

View original image


Choi Young-sam, spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said at a regular briefing on the 5th that Foreign Minister Chung Eui-yong's recent remark that it is time to consider easing sanctions against North Korea meant "there is a need to actively consider it when North Korea returns to dialogue."


In response to a question about the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' official stance on easing sanctions against North Korea, Spokesperson Choi said, "In a situation where North Korea's nuclear and missile capabilities are continuously advancing, it is urgent to resume dialogue with North Korea to make progress in denuclearization negotiations," adding, "For this, there is a need to consider more flexibly and actively the issues that can be discussed when North Korea returns to dialogue."


Earlier, on the 1st, Minister Chung said at the National Assembly Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee's Ministry of Foreign Affairs audit, in response to the question "Do you think easing sanctions against North Korea is necessary?" that "Yes. It is now time to consider it."


However, the Biden administration's attitude toward this matter is quite different.

[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


After Minister Chung's remarks were reported, the U.S. State Department expressed the position that it is important for the international community to emphasize the implementation of sanctions against North Korea.


This is interpreted to mean that, in a situation where North Korea continues its nuclear and ballistic missile activities, the international community, including South Korea, should consistently demand the implementation of Security Council resolutions rather than mentioning the possibility of easing sanctions.

[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


Experts also believe that North Korea is highly likely to carry out missile provocations again around the Workers' Party Foundation Day (October 10).


North Korea has carried out provocations timed with major holidays or anniversaries, and given that it recently launched hypersonic missiles and surface-to-air missiles consecutively, there is a possibility of additional provocations.


Moreover, the fact that North Korea is sending conciliatory messages through Kim Jong-un's Workers' Party general secretary's policy speech and Kim Yo-jong's statements, while simultaneously conducting missile provocations and demanding the abolition of "hostile policies and double standards," is cited as a background for the possibility of provocations.


However, to leave room for North Korea-U.S. dialogue, it is highly likely that North Korea will refrain from nuclear provocations, which are considered a "red line."


Nevertheless, our government is expected to maintain a stance of restraint in strong expressions, considering progress in inter-Korean dialogue even if North Korea launches additional missiles. Previously, the Standing Committee of the National Security Council (NSC) at the Blue House also expressed only "regret" instead of using the term "provocation."



Jung Sung-jang, director of the North Korea Research Center at the Sejong Institute, said, "The government needs to calmly observe North Korea's short-range missiles or cruise missiles," and added, "We should not provoke North Korea by using expressions such as 'provocation.'"


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing