Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency Begins Internal Investigation of Four Groups Over 'August 15 Liberation Day Illegal Rally'
[Asia Economy Reporter Jeong Dong-hoon] The police have launched an internal investigation into illegal activities during the Liberation Day rally on the 15th.
Choi Gwan-ho, Commissioner of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency, held a press conference on the 17th at the Seoul Police Agency in Naejadong, Jongno-gu, Seoul, stating, "We told the public that we would respond to illegal rallies and immediately started an internal investigation." He added, "So far, investigations are underway for four organizations, and among the three people caught in the act, one was subject to an arrest warrant which was later dismissed. However, we will conduct a thorough investigation while they remain out of custody and take judicial action."
The Seoul Police Agency required police units who had close contact with crowds participating in the rallies during the recent holiday period to undergo COVID-19 testing. Commissioner Choi said, "There are 1,886 officers subject to testing; as of the 16th, 1,795 have completed the test, and 91 are scheduled to be tested today."
Regarding the execution of the arrest warrant for Yang Kyung-soo, Chairman of the Korean Confederation of Trade Unions (KCTU), who led the rally in downtown Seoul last month, he stated, "No one is exempt from the rule of law equally," and added, "The principle that the warrant must be executed is clear, and it will be done in a way that the public can accept." He further emphasized, "The principle of executing the warrant is clear," and said, "We will proceed according to the procedures."
On the investigation related to the National Workers' Rally, he said, "We had booked 25 people; two are still under data analysis, and all 23 final investigation targets have completed their inquiries."
Regarding the allegation that former Liberty Korea Party (now People Power Party) lawmaker Kim Moo-sung was provided with an imported car by a 'fake seafood businessman' named Kim, a Seoul Police Agency official stated, "The facts are currently being verified."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "I'll Stop by Starbucks Tomorrow": People Power Chungbuk Committee and Geoje Mayoral Candidate Face Criticism for Alleged 5·18 Demeaning Remarks
- [Why&Next] Uber and Naver Move to Acquire Baemin... Eyeing Coupang's Top Spot in Commerce
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
Concerning the 'X-file' incident involving presidential candidate Yoon Seok-yeol, he said, "(Regarding the spread of false information) five complaints have been filed," and added, "The Anti-Corruption and Public Crime Investigation Unit of the Seoul Police Agency is handling two of these complaints. The investigation will proceed." Earlier, civic groups such as the Action Alliance for the Restoration of the Rule of Law (Beopse-ryeon) filed complaints with the prosecution against the unknown creator of the X-file for defamation due to spreading false information, and against Song Young-gil, leader of the Democratic Party of Korea, for abuse of authority and obstruction of rights, claiming he said he was "carefully preparing files related to former Prosecutor General Yoon." The police received the case from the prosecution in early last month.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.