Representative Park Sang-hak, who claimed self-defense in 'assault on reporters,' expresses 'displeasure' at suspended sentence verdict
Sentenced to 8 Months Imprisonment with 2 Years Probation in First Trial
Charged with Assaulting Reporters Who Visited Home
Park Sang-hak, the head of the Free North Korea Movement Alliance, who was indicted on charges of assaulting reporters who came to his house, is attending the second trial session held at the Seoul Eastern District Court on May 17.
[Image source=Yonhap News]
[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Jung-yoon] "Kim Jong-un and Kim Yo-jong will be pleased."
Park Sang-hak, head of the Free North Korea Movement Alliance, who was prosecuted for assaulting reporters, said this after receiving a suspended prison sentence in the first trial. Park's side has claimed during the trial that the assault was an act of self-defense.
According to the court on the 16th, Judge Shim Tae-gyu of the Seoul Eastern District Court Criminal Division 1 sentenced Park, who was indicted on charges of injury, special injury, obstruction of official duties, and violation of the Firearms and Ammunition Act, to 8 months in prison with a 2-year suspension on the 12th.
Park was charged with throwing bricks and assaulting the SBS TV 'Morning Wide' reporters who attempted to cover his residence in Songpa-gu around 9 p.m. on June 23 last year, and spraying a gas gun at the police officers assigned for his protection.
During the trial, Park's side argued that the assault was justified and claimed innocence. Park's lawyer stated, "In a situation where threats to kill escalated following the North Korean propaganda leaflet statement by Kim Yo-jong, Deputy Director of the Workers' Party, the assault occurred while protesting the reporters' illegal intrusion into a shared residence and unlawful coverage," adding, "Even if the response was excessive, a not guilty verdict should be rendered." At the first hearing, Park's side also claimed, "There was illegal coverage and trespassing by the SBS reporters," and "It was self-defense in response to that, so we assert innocence."
Furthermore, regarding the charge of firing the gas gun, they requested leniency, asking for consideration of the circumstances. Park's lawyer said, "There was a reasonable suspicion that the police disclosed the defendant's residence and the password to the shared entrance to the reporters, and the spraying was to reprimand them."
When the prosecution demanded a 2-year prison sentence at the sentencing hearing, Park said in his final statement, "I apologize for assaulting the SBS reporters and regret spraying the gas gun due to misunderstanding the police," but added, "I find it hard to accept the prosecutor's demand for a 2-year sentence."
However, Judge Shim did not accept all of Park's claims. Regarding the assault on the reporters, Judge Shim said, "It is difficult to accept the defendant's claim that the special injury charge is self-defense or that the degree of force was excessive in a self-defense situation, thus warranting acquittal."
Regarding the charge of spraying the gas gun at the police officers, he explained, "The defendant was not in a position to reprimand the police officers," and "He assaulted the officers by mistaking them without reasonable grounds."
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- Bull Market End Signal? Securities Firm Warns: "Sell SK hynix 'At This Moment'"
- "Looks Even More Like Him in Person": Albino Water Buffalo with Golden Hair and Pink Skin Nicknamed 'Trump'
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
Nonetheless, Judge Shim stated, "Considering comprehensively that the defendant had previously received death threats from North Korea and that the broadcasting station staff who visited the defendant entered the shared entrance without permission and attempted an interview through illegal means."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.