Former Star Mobility Chairman Kim Bong-hyun, a key figure in the Lime Asset Management (Lime) scandal that caused asset damage worth approximately 1.6 trillion won, is being released on bail on the afternoon of the 20th from the Southern Detention Center in Guro-gu, Seoul. [Image source=Yonhap News]

Former Star Mobility Chairman Kim Bong-hyun, a key figure in the Lime Asset Management (Lime) scandal that caused asset damage worth approximately 1.6 trillion won, is being released on bail on the afternoon of the 20th from the Southern Detention Center in Guro-gu, Seoul. [Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Jung-yoon] Lee Jong-pil, former vice president of Lime Asset Management (Lime), the key suspect in the 'Lime Asset Management (Lime) scandal' involving financial damages worth about 1.6 trillion won, testified that he fled at the urging of Kim Bong-hyun, former chairman of Star Mobility, and received various support including funds for his escape.


On the 23rd, Lee appeared as a witness at the trial of Kim and others held at the Seoul Southern District Court Criminal Division 13 (Presiding Judge Lee Sang-joo), testifying about the circumstances before and after the warrant hearing scheduled for November 2019, and conversations he had with Kim.


Lee said, "On the 14th, a day before the detention hearing, I met Kim Bong-hyun and discussed fleeing," adding, "Kim Bong-hyun suggested, 'How about fleeing?' and also told me specific methods."


He continued, "That evening, I received a cellphone from Kim Bong-hyun to use during the escape and took an express bus to Busan," and "Later, Kim Bong-hyun sent a driver and vehicle to Busan, and I was moved through Jeonju to a hotel in the metropolitan area."


Lee, who was under investigation related to the Lime scandal, fled before the warrant hearing on November 15, 2019. Kim, who was also accused of embezzlement, disappeared after an arrest warrant was issued in December of the same year. The two, who continued to live in hiding together, were arrested in April last year at a villa in Seongbuk-gu, Seoul.


Lee claimed that Kim paid all accommodation fees during the escape and provided living expenses worth 5 to 10 million won per month. He also said that moving from Busan and an officetel in Gyeonggi Province to an apartment in Seoul was under Kim's instructions.


He added, "At that time, my atopic dermatitis and other illnesses worsened, and I needed hospital treatment. Kim Bong-hyun gave me someone else's personal information to help me receive medical care," and "Even afterward, with Kim Bong-hyun's help, I received atopic injections and diabetes medication and was able to meet my family."


On the other hand, Kim's defense attorney argued that the final decision to flee was made by Lee, and even without Kim's help, Lee would have received assistance from someone else.


Lee said, "At that time, Kim Bong-hyun's side said, 'If we can just buy a little time, we can resolve the prosecution's issues,' so I believed that and fled," adding, "Since the idea to flee itself was given by Kim Bong-hyun, if it were not for him, I would not have run away."



Kim was arrested and indicted on charges including embezzling hundreds of millions of won from Suwon Passenger Transport and Star Mobility, and providing money and entertainment to politicians and prosecutors. He was released on bail on the 21st of this month during the trial.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing