Jeong Eui-yong: "North Korea GP Shooting Was Restrained" Controversy... Ministry of Foreign Affairs Says "Term Was Inappropriate"
[Asia Economy Reporter Bae Kyunghwan] The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued a clarification stating that the term used by Foreign Minister Chung Eui-yong to describe last May's shooting incident at a North Korean military guard post (GP) in the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) as "restrained" was inappropriate.
On the 21st, Minister Chung said at a Kwanhun Club discussion held at the Seoul Press Center that the September 19, 2018 inter-Korean military agreement has greatly contributed to maintaining peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula, adding that "North Korea committed two minor violations."
The issue began when Minister Chung evaluated, "We conducted a thorough investigation of these two incidents, but they were carried out in a very restrained manner and method." He further explained, "It should also be noted that there have been no serious provocations since then."
The GP shooting incident involved four tracer rounds fired by North Korean troops on May 3 last year, which hit the outer wall of a South Korean military GP. In response, the South Korean military immediately fired 30 rounds according to the rules of engagement.
Following controversy over Minister Chung's remarks, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs promptly stated that the North Korean artillery firing exercise at Changrindo and the shooting at the South Korean GP in the DMZ are clear violations of the September 19 military agreement, which is the firm position of our government.
Hot Picks Today
"Only Two Per Person" Garbage Bag Crisis Was Just Yesterday... Japan Also Faces Shortage Anxiety
- "Samsung Electronics Employee with 100 Million Won Salary Receiving 600 Million Won Bonus... Estimated Tax Revealed"
- Lived as Family for Over 30 Years... Daughter-in-Law Cast Aside After Husband's Death
- 'Will Demand Finally Decline Due to High Prices?'... "I'll Just Enjoy Nearby Trips" as Japan and China See a Surge
- "Wore It Once, Then This? White Spots All Over 4.15 Million Won Prada Jacket... 'Full Refund Ordered'"
The Ministry explained, "The minister's comment was intended to clarify that, given the circumstances of the two incidents, these provocations did not reach a level that would nullify the 'September 19 military agreement.' However, the choice of words was not appropriate."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.