Korea University Says No Admission Documents for Cho Min, "Actions After Ruling"... No Investigation Plans Either
Submission of Response to Ministry of Education... No Investigation Plan
Prolonged Conclusion Expected... Criticism of Time-Buying
Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education Also Considering Measures Regarding Han Young Foreign Language High School
On the 27th, when the prosecution began a full-scale investigation into various allegations against Cho Kuk, the Minister of Justice nominee, the press was waiting in front of the Talent Development Office at Korea University in Anam-dong, Seongbuk-gu, Seoul. Photo by Kim Hyun-min kimhyun81@
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Han Jinju] It has been confirmed that Korea University submitted a response letter to the Ministry of Education stating that there are no plans to cancel the admission of Cho Min, the daughter of former Minister of Justice Cho Kuk.
On the 9th, Korea University stated in a recent response to the Ministry of Education, "Since judicial judgment is currently underway, we will take measures according to relevant regulations after the final verdict." On the 25th of last month, the office of Gwak Sang-do, a member of the National Assembly's Education Committee from the People Power Party, requested Korea University's plan of action based on a legal review result that "there is authority to investigate the facts of admission suspicions separately from the criminal trial."
Korea University is repeating only that the admission materials have been discarded and intends to wait for the verdict. Although the 2010 early admission guidelines of Korea University clearly state that if falsification of materials is confirmed, the applicant will be disqualified, it seems difficult to conduct a separate investigation before the final verdict.
Korea University stated, "Based on media reports that the prosecution secured admission-related materials, we applied to the court for provisional seizure of evidence, but it was dismissed because the self-introduction letter and the list of submitted documents were not seized by Korea University." The Ministry of Education said regarding Korea University's response, "We have no comments on future responses."
Earlier, at a press briefing held on the 29th of last month, Deputy Minister of Education Yoo Eun-hye mentioned regarding criticisms that the Ministry of Education's measures were insufficient, "If corruption is confirmed through Ministry of Education audits or reports and action is necessary, we request the school to (cancel admission), but in Cho's case, it was a unique situation where the prosecution started an investigation before fact verification."
The response to Cho's admission corruption case is becoming a long-term matter. Pusan National University is the only institution conducting its own investigation, but it is expected to take at least 3 to 4 months, and the final verdict is hard to predict. Ultimately, some interpret this as buying time. Attention is also focused on the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education's plan of action regarding the false information written in the school records of Hanyeong Foreign Language High School, from which Cho graduated.
Cho Hee-yeon, Superintendent of the Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education, said at a press briefing on the 6th, regarding plans for measures related to admission corruption, "There are parts we need to review as well, and we will announce soon."
Hot Picks Today
"Buy on Black Monday"... Japan's Nomura Forecasts 590,000 for Samsung, 4 Million for SK hynix
- "Plunged During the War, Now Surging Again"... The Real Reason Behind the 6% One-Day Silver Market Rally [Weekend Money]
- Even After the 'Tax,' High Profits Remain... Korea Emerges as a Premium Market [ChwiYakGukga]②
- "Samsung and Hynix Were Once for the Underachievers"... Hyundai Motor Employee's Lament
- "That? It's Already Stashed" Nightlife Scene Crosses the Line [ChwiYak Nation] ③
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.