NATO Official: "Afghan Withdrawal Delayed Until After May"
Biden's Peace Agreement Review
Outline After This Month's NATO Meeting
[Asia Economy Reporter Kwon Jae-hee] Overseas troops stationed in Afghanistan are expected to remain beyond the May deadline for withdrawal set by the peace agreement between the United States and the Afghan armed insurgent group, the Taliban, according to major foreign media reports on the 31st (local time).
According to reports, senior officials from the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) stated this, pointing out that "this move will escalate tensions with the Taliban, who demand a full withdrawal."
One official said, "A full withdrawal of allied forces by the end of April will not be achieved," adding, "The conditions have not yet been met."
In this regard, the White House disclosed on the 22nd of last month that Jake Sullivan, the White House National Security Advisor, had a phone call with the Afghan National Security Advisor, revealing that the Biden administration plans to review the US-Taliban peace agreement.
A US Department of Defense spokesperson said, "Although the Taliban has not fulfilled its promises, the United States remains committed to the peace agreement process," and added, "No decision has been made regarding future troop levels."
Previously, under the Trump administration, the United States signed a peace agreement with the Taliban on February 29 last year, agreeing to withdraw all US and NATO international coalition forces deployed in Afghanistan by May this year, on the condition that the Taliban cease terrorist attacks.
The US has reduced its troop levels in Afghanistan from about 12,000 to approximately 2,500.
Plans for the situation after April are currently under review, and sources say this issue is expected to be a key agenda item at the NATO Defense Ministers meeting on the 17th-18th of this month.
There is also speculation that with the inauguration of the Biden administration, NATO, which had been weakened due to the Trump administration's neglect of alliances, will have a stronger voice.
Oana Lungescu, NATO spokesperson, stated, "No NATO allied forces want to remain in Afghanistan longer than necessary," adding, "We have made it clear that our presence is conditional, and no NATO-level decision has been made yet."
Currently, about 10,000 overseas troops, including US forces, are stationed in Afghanistan. The number is expected to remain roughly the same until May, but plans beyond that are uncertain.
The Taliban is pressuring by demanding respect for the existing agreement and warning that responsibility and appropriate consequences will follow the party that fails to comply.
Hot Picks Today
"Samsung and Hynix Were Once for the Underachievers"... Hyundai Motor Employee's Lament
- Samsung Enterprise Labor Union: "We Respect Court’s Injunction Decision... General Strike to Proceed on the 21st as Planned"
- "Was This Delicious Treat Enjoyed Only by Koreans?"... The K-Dessert Captivating Japan
- [Exclusive] With Budget Safeguard Gone, Digital Learning Center May Be Reduced or Disappear in Financially Weaker Local Governments
- "That? It's Already Stashed" Nightlife Scene Crosses the Line [ChwiYak Nation] ③
Accordingly, major foreign media reported that NATO and the United States may face challenges in reaching an agreement with the Taliban on extending troop deployments in Afghanistan. There are also concerns that if the situation remains unclear, the Taliban may increase armed attacks against overseas troops stationed there.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.