[Image source=AP Yonhap News]

[Image source=AP Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Cho Hyun-ui] Jack Ma, the founder and former chairman of Alibaba Group, China's largest e-commerce company, has appeared after three months. Since publicly criticizing Chinese financial authorities in October last year, Ma disappeared, sparking various speculations about his whereabouts.


According to local media and major foreign news outlets on the 20th, Ma gave a virtual speech at an online event attended by about 100 teachers. The event, held annually by the Jack Ma Foundation, is an awards ceremony for teachers working in rural areas.


In his speech, Ma said, "These days, I have been learning and reflecting with my colleagues," adding, "We are more dedicated to education and charity than ever before." The event has been held in Sanya City, Hainan Province since 2015, but this year it was conducted online due to the spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19). Ma also said, "Once COVID-19 ends, I will invite all teachers to Sanya."


This marks Ma's first public appearance in three months since his speech at the 'Waitan Financial Summit' held in Shanghai on October 23 last year. At that time, he criticized China's financial supervision in front of senior Chinese officials, saying, "There is no innovation without risk," and then disappeared.



Since then, Ma did not participate in the final recording of the business competition program he personally produced, 'Africa's Business Heroes.' Until October last year, he appeared as a judge on the program, but afterward, his photos were removed from the program's website, and he was not mentioned in promotional videos.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing