Minister Chu: "All detention centers have occupancy rates of 130-140%"
"If single occupancy is assumed immediately, what measures are there?"

Justice Minister Choo Mi-ae is responding to questions at the Legislation and Judiciary Committee plenary meeting held at the National Assembly in Yeouido, Seoul, on the 8th. / Photo by Yonhap News

Justice Minister Choo Mi-ae is responding to questions at the Legislation and Judiciary Committee plenary meeting held at the National Assembly in Yeouido, Seoul, on the 8th. / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Ju-hyung] Minister of Justice Choo Mi-ae engaged in a heated debate with opposition lawmakers on the 8th regarding measures to address the COVID-19 cluster infection outbreak at Seoul Eastern Detention Center.


On that day, Minister Choo responded to opposition lawmakers urging measures for the COVID-19 cluster infection at the Eastern Detention Center by saying, "All detention centers have an occupancy rate exceeding 130-140%, and the ultra-high-density detention facilities were built during the Lee Myung-bak administration," adding, "But now, they ask if there are any measures based on one person per room."


She emphasized, "Appropriate measures that could be taken have been implemented."


When Kim Do-eup, a People Power Party lawmaker, asked, "What will you do if the Cheongsong Prison, where inmates from Seoul Eastern Detention Center were dispersed, also reaches its capacity limit?" Minister Choo replied, "Even if we try to move them immediately to detention centers in Busan, opinions differ between lawmakers Kim Do-eup and Jang Je-won," and pointed out, "They refuse to accept it as a stigmatized facility. In such a situation, what options are there if pressured?"


Earlier, in 2019, during the process of considering relocating the detention center in Sasang-gu, Busan, Lawmaker Kim had a disagreement with Lawmaker Jang Je-won of the People Power Party. At that time, Jang, whose constituency was Sasang-gu, pushed for the relocation, but Kim, whose constituency was Gangseo-gu, where the proposed relocation site was, publicly opposed it. Minister Choo appears to have criticized Lawmaker Kim by referring to that situation.


On the afternoon of the 6th, at the Dongbu Detention Center in Songpa-gu, Seoul, an inmate showed a paper to reporters outside the window that read, "Please let the confirmed patients have warm meals." / Photo by Yonhap News

On the afternoon of the 6th, at the Dongbu Detention Center in Songpa-gu, Seoul, an inmate showed a paper to reporters outside the window that read, "Please let the confirmed patients have warm meals." / Photo by Yonhap News

View original image


Regarding criticism that the response was inadequate after the first confirmed case occurred, Minister Choo said, "After the first confirmed case on December 14, we requested mass testing, but the quarantine authorities wanted to observe the situation, so we had no choice but to respect that," adding, "Considering the timing, it is believed that many asymptomatic inmates entered the Eastern Detention Center after the social mass outbreak."


She continued, "After an employee was first confirmed positive on November 27 last year, we ordered tests for close contacts, and all tested negative," emphasizing, "Since this was in accordance with quarantine authorities' guidelines, it cannot be said that appropriate measures were not taken."


Regarding an inmate who displayed a placard reading "Please save us" through the detention center window, she said, "In a situation where physical freedom is restricted, it is understandable to be anxious when an infectious disease spreads," and added, "We are focusing on quarantine rather than punishment as much as possible."


She also stressed, "Political appointees bear unlimited responsibility," and said, "In that sense, I offer my apologies."


Meanwhile, according to the Ministry of Justice, as of 9 a.m. on the 8th, the cumulative number of COVID-19 confirmed cases in correctional facilities nationwide was 1,207, an increase of 2 from the previous day (7th). Among them, the number of confirmed cases among inmates, including those released, was 1,165, and correctional facility staff numbered 42.



The first confirmed case at the Eastern Detention Center occurred on November 27 last year, triggering a cluster infection. Since then, correctional authorities conducted the first mass testing of the facility on the 18th of last month, and six rounds of mass testing have been carried out to date. Correctional authorities plan to conduct the seventh mass testing at the Eastern Detention Center on the 8th.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing