Indonesian Sailors Condemning Abuse of Their Countrymen on Chinese Fishing Vessels<br>(Jakarta AFP=Yonhap News) On February 17 (local time), a maritime worker participated in a protest in front of the Chinese Embassy in Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, condemning the abuse of Indonesian sailors on Chinese fishing vessels. [Image source = Yonhap News]

Indonesian Sailors Condemning Abuse of Their Countrymen on Chinese Fishing Vessels
(Jakarta AFP=Yonhap News) On February 17 (local time), a maritime worker participated in a protest in front of the Chinese Embassy in Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, condemning the abuse of Indonesian sailors on Chinese fishing vessels. [Image source = Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Choi Eun-young] China has reacted angrily to the U.S. accusation that "China is deploying a large number of fishing vessels to 'sweep up' fishery resources worldwide," stating, "We are a responsible fishing nation."


On the 26th, according to the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, spokesperson Wang Wenbin stated, "China is a responsible fishing nation," adding, "We emphasize the scientific protection and sustainable use of fishery resources and actively fulfill our international obligations."


He continued, "Chinese distant-water fishing companies have established labor cooperation relationships with relevant countries and have realized mutual benefit and win-win outcomes," and said, "There is no forced labor among distant-water fishing vessel crews."


This stance from China is a rebuttal to recent U.S. government reports pointing out "illegal fishing by Chinese vessels worldwide" and "forced labor of crew members."


Spokesperson Wang said, "The U.S. claims have no factual basis," and "We firmly oppose these malicious attacks that distort black and white."


He further criticized, saying, "On the contrary, U.S. fishing vessels exceed permitted dates for fishing and violate related regulations," and "The U.S. should correct and reflect on this."


Previously, Chinese fishing vessels were also criticized last month in a joint statement by the governments of Chile, Peru, Colombia, and Ecuador in South America for "large-scale sweeping fishing operations by Chinese distant-water fishing fleets arriving in South America."


At that time, these countries expressed concern in the statement about the appearance of foreign fishing vessels near their territorial waters and announced that they would take joint measures to prevent and counter illegal fishing.


In particular, Ecuador expressed vigilance toward about 300 Chinese fishing vessels operating in international waters near the Galapagos Islands in July, strengthening its surveillance system by deploying the military. Chinese fishing vessels have previously been caught intruding into the Galapagos waters and catching rare fish species.



After multiple criticisms, the Chinese government set a fishing ban period near the Galapagos, but the fleet is known to have recently moved south to the waters near Peru and Chile to fish for squid.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing