Park Neung-hoo: "Some Areas in the Seoul Metropolitan Area and Gangwon at Level 1.5 for 2 Weeks... Incheon from the 23rd" (Summary)
Ten Days After Distancing Revision... Raised to Level 1.5
"If Current Spread Is Not Contained, Nationwide Outbreak Expected"
[Asia Economy Reporter Cho Hyun-ui] The government has decided to raise the social distancing level to 1.5 in the metropolitan area and some parts of Gangwon Province from midnight on the 19th until midnight on December 2nd to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19). This comes just ten days after the implementation of the new distancing system. However, Incheon, where the spread is not significant, will raise the distancing level starting from the 23rd.
Park Neung-hoo, the first deputy head of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasures Headquarters (CDSCH) and Minister of Health and Welfare, stated at a regular briefing held at the Government Seoul Office on the 17th, "If we fail to block the current outbreak, it could lead to a nationwide large-scale epidemic."
The government adjusts the distancing level based on the average daily number of domestic confirmed cases and the number of confirmed cases aged 60 and over over one week. The metropolitan area will be raised to level 1.5 if there are 100 or more cases, and Gangwon Province if there are 10 or more cases.
According to the CDSCH, the average daily confirmed cases in the metropolitan area over the past week from the 11th to the present is 111.3. The number of confirmed cases aged 60 and over is 39.7, close to the raising criterion (40). Gangwon Province recorded 15.3 cases during the same period, with 4.6 cases aged 60 and over, exceeding the raising criterion (4).
Two weeks until December 2... Extension or escalation thereafter
Deputy Head Park explained, "96% of all confirmed cases in the metropolitan area occurred in Seoul and Gyeonggi Province," adding, "Incheon has an average of about 4 cases per day, so the spread of infection is limited."
Accordingly, the government decided to apply social distancing level 1.5 in Incheon starting from midnight on the 23rd. Deputy Head Park said, "Ganghwa County and Ongjin County will maintain level 1 measures, and some restrictions on religious activities will be eased."
Gangwon Province will not raise the level for the entire province but will allow individual cities, counties, and districts to decide on applying level 1.5 independently. Previously, Wonju City proactively raised to level 1.5 on the 10th, and currently, Cheorwon County is internally reviewing escalation. Deputy Head Park said, "Considering that infections are concentrated in the Yeongseo region of Gangwon Province, the entire region will not have its level raised."
The government plans to apply these measures for two weeks and then review whether to extend level 1.5 or escalate to level 2. Deputy Head Park said, "We will analyze the results of implementing level 1.5 during the two weeks when the effects of distancing appear and reassess the outbreak situation," adding, "It is also possible for local governments to independently decide to raise distancing levels based on risk."
On the 17th, when the government decided to raise the social distancing level to 1.5 in the Seoul metropolitan area, citizens were walking in a park in Seoul without properly wearing masks. Photo by Kim Hyun-min kimhyun81@
View original imageOne person per 4㎡ at weddings and funerals... Gatherings and concerts limited to under 100 people
Park Neung-hoo: "Infection possible anytime, anywhere... Avoid gatherings"
From the 19th, additional rules such as limits on the number of users will be applied to multi-use facilities in the metropolitan area, in addition to the level 1 quarantine rules currently in place. At wedding halls, funeral halls, bathhouses, and game rooms/multi-rooms, the number of people will be limited to one per 4 square meters. Movie theaters, performance halls, PC rooms, reading rooms, and study cafes must implement seat spacing.
In daily life, quarantine management will be further strengthened, including the addition of places where mask-wearing is mandatory. Gatherings, demonstrations, large-scale concerts, academic events, and festivals will be limited to fewer than 100 people. Religious activities and sports viewing will be restricted to 30% or less of seats or audience capacity.
Deputy Head Park urged, "Currently, in the metropolitan area and Gangwon Province, COVID-19 infection can occur anytime and anywhere," adding, "Please avoid visiting multi-use facilities where many people gather, and be especially cautious in enclosed indoor facilities." He also requested, "Residents of the metropolitan area and Gangwon Province should cancel or postpone unnecessary gatherings and appointments for the next two weeks."
Hot Picks Today
"Samsung and Hynix Were Once for the Underachievers"... Hyundai Motor Employee's Lament
- "Plunged During the War, Now Surging Again"... The Real Reason Behind the 6% One-Day Silver Market Rally [Weekend Money]
- "They Said It's Impossible to Get—Already Selling for Triple the Price: Crowds Worldwide Line Up for $600 Luxury Watch"
- Korea and ASEAN to Strengthen Supply Chain Cooperation... FTA Digital Rules to Be Revised
- "That? It's Already Stashed" Nightlife Scene Crosses the Line [ChwiYak Nation] ③
Meanwhile, as the number of new confirmed cases has remained in the 200s for four consecutive days, the number of intensive care unit beds immediately available nationwide was 130 as of the previous day. Deputy Head Park said, "We will secure additional ICU beds through severity assessment and patient transfer coordination and expand residential treatment centers and infectious disease specialized hospitals to prepare for a surge in patients."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.