Trump's Refusal to Concede Presidential Election Amid Tour of 7 European and Middle Eastern Countries

[Image source=Reuters Yonhap News]

[Image source=Reuters Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Kwon Jae-hee] Mike Pompeo, U.S. Secretary of State, who embarked on a tour of seven countries in Europe and the Middle East, arrived in Paris, France, his first destination, on the 14th (local time), according to AP News.


According to the report, upon arrival, Secretary Pompeo tweeted, "France is America's oldest friend and ally," adding, "The strong relationship between the two countries cannot be praised enough."


He also stated, "We will discuss various issues including religious freedom and counterterrorism."


France has recently been facing difficulties due to a tough stance against a series of terrorist attacks by extremist Islamists and the resulting backlash from Islamic countries.


Secretary Pompeo is scheduled to meet French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian on the 16th, followed by President Emmanuel Macron.


The issue lies in the timing of this visit. Although the U.S. presidential election results have been decided with Democratic candidate Joe Biden's victory, the incumbent Republican candidate, President Donald Trump, is contesting the results. Secretary Pompeo is also aligned with this stance.


After announcing his tour plan on the 10th, Pompeo appeared in an interview with Fox News, stating, "The Trump administration will smoothly transition into a second term," seemingly refusing to acknowledge Democratic candidate Joe Biden's victory.


He said, "There is only one President of the United States," expressing dissatisfaction with Biden's congratulatory phone calls with world leaders following his election win.


President Macron, upon confirmation of Biden's victory on the 7th, tweeted, "The United States has chosen their new president," and extended congratulations to "Joe Biden and (vice president-elect) Kamala Harris."


For now, Minister Le Drian has expressed no issues with discussions with Secretary Pompeo.


In an interview with BFMTV the previous day, he said, "He (Secretary Pompeo) is coming to Paris. I will welcome him," and explained, "Until January 20 next year, my counterpart is Mike Pompeo."


Minister Le Drian mentioned that "difficult topics" such as Iran, Iraq, terrorism, the Middle East, and China will be discussed.


Earlier, on the 8th, Minister Le Drian stated, "We look forward to working with the new U.S. president and his team within the framework of a new transatlantic relationship," adding, "We need to rebuild this."


President Macron and President Trump showed a close relationship early in their terms, even displaying a 'bromance.'


However, their relationship sharply deteriorated last year, leading to conflicts over various issues.


At the end of last year, when President Macron criticized NATO as being in a state of brain death, President Trump condemned it as "a very bad statement."


Regarding the Paris Climate Agreement and the Iran Nuclear Deal (JCPOA - Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action), President Macron also showed discord with President Trump.



Secretary Pompeo is scheduled to visit Turkey, Israel, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Qatar, and Georgia after France, until the 23rd.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing