"Not Dangerous to COVID-19... Conservative Group to Proceed with Gaecheonjeol Rally" Rally Notification Submitted
October 16 Free Democratic People's Movement Reports Gaecheonjeol Rally
About 1,000 Participants to Gather at Gwanghwamun Square on November 3
Representative Choi Insik: "Government Brutally Tramples on Freedom of Assembly and Association"
Choi In-sik, Secretary General of the August 15 Emergency Committee, holds a press conference on the 16th in front of Jongno Police Station in Seoul before reporting the Gaecheonjeol rally. Photo by Yonhap News
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Yeon-ju] The 'August 15 Rally Participants National Emergency Response Committee,' which hosted the rally in Gwanghwamun last month, announced that they will forcibly hold a rally at Gwanghwamun Square again on October 3, National Foundation Day.
The Liberty Democratic National Movement reported the National Foundation Day rally to the civil service office of Jongno Police Station in Seoul on the afternoon of the 16th. The reported number of participants is 1,000, and the location is known to be the park road north of Sejong Center for the Performing Arts in Gwanghwamun.
Choi In-sik, the representative of the Liberty Democratic National Movement, held a press conference in front of Jongno Police Station in Seoul and said, "It is absolutely unacceptable to issue a blanket prohibition notice on rally reports in a liberal democratic country," adding, "The government is ruthlessly trampling on the freedom of assembly and association stipulated in Article 21, Paragraph 1 of the Constitution, using the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) as an excuse."
Choi said, "They are trampling on the basic rights of the people to silence the voices of the people who will raise louder voices on October 3 (National Foundation Day)," and added, "Even if they brand opposing citizens with the scarlet letter of 'COVID-19 positive' and divide people, they can never permanently silence the voices of the people."
The rally is expected to include organizations affiliated with the 'August 15 Participants National Emergency Response Committee.' The August 15 Emergency Committee is a group composed of organizations that participated in the Gwanghwamun rally on Liberation Day last month, including the Liberty Democratic National Movement.
Before reporting the rally, Representative Choi claimed, "COVID-19 is not as dangerous as it is known," and said, "Although it has been proven that COVID-19 has no higher fatality rate than the flu or pneumonia and is not actually that dangerous, the government uses COVID-19 as a reason to suppress criticism."
He added, "The reported rally location is the park road north of Sejong Center for the Performing Arts in Gwanghwamun, and the reported number of participants is 1,000," and "All participants will maintain a 2-meter social distance front and back, wear masks, and perform disinfection according to quarantine rules."
On the afternoon of the 15th of last month, participants filled the streets of Sejong-daero, Seoul, during a rally condemning the government and the ruling party organized by Sarang Jeil Church and the Liberty Solidarity. Photo by Yonhap News.
View original imageUpon learning of the National Foundation Day rally plan, Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun emphasized a strict response policy on the same day (16th), urging the withdrawal of the rally schedule.
At a meeting of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters held at the Government Seoul Office, Prime Minister Chung said, "If the rally is forcibly held, the government will firmly respond according to laws and principles to protect the lives and safety of the people," and pointed out, "Despite the fact that the Liberation Day rally triggered a resurgence of COVID-19 and caused costly social expenses, they are not backing down from insisting on holding the National Foundation Day rally."
He continued, "We ask the relevant organizations to withdraw their rally plans even now," and "If the rally is forcibly held, the government will once again emphasize that it will firmly respond according to laws and principles to protect the lives and safety of the people," indicating a tough stance.
Meanwhile, the Seoul Metropolitan Government decided on the 21st of last month to extend the ban on rallies of 10 or more people throughout Seoul until the 11th of next month to prevent COVID-19 spread due to rallies.
Son Young-rae, head of the Strategic Planning Division of the Central Disaster and Safety Countermeasure Headquarters, said, "The Assembly and Demonstration Act provides grounds for using physical force to disperse illegal rallies," and added, "The police are currently reviewing methods for dispersing rallies using physical force."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Bought for a Special Price, but Cheaper Today"... Online Malls Caught Inflating Discount Rates by Raising Regular Prices
- "If That's the Case, Why Not Just Buy Stocks?" ETFs in Name Only, Now 'Semiconductor-Heavy' and a Playground for Short-Term Traders
- Singer Kim Minjong Responds to MC Mong's Gambling Allegations: "Clearly False... Legal Action to Follow"
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
He also emphasized, "People who participate in illegal rallies despite knowing the rally ban will be fined up to 3 million won under the Infectious Disease Control and Prevention Act," and "Rally organizers may face imprisonment of up to 2 years or a fine of up to 2 million won."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.