Court Administration Chief: "Allowing Gwanghwamun Rally, a Decision Made After Serious Deliberation"
Court Approves '8·15 Rally'... Public Backlash
Bar Association "Concerns Over Current Situation Undermining Judicial Independence"
Cho Jae-yeon, Chief of the Court Administration Office, is greeting before reporting on work at the plenary meeting of the National Assembly's Legislation and Judiciary Committee held in March last year. Photo by Yonhap News
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Suwan] Amid public criticism that the court's approval of the 'August 15 Gwanghwamun Rally' led to the resurgence of COVID-19, the Chief of the Court Administration Office stated, "I believe the court made this decision after the bench gave serious consideration amidst conflicting values." The Korean Bar Association (KBA) expressed the position that "personal attacks and doxxing against judges must stop immediately."
On the 1st, Cho Jaeyeon, Chief of the Court Administration Office (Supreme Court Justice), responded during the National Assembly Budget and Accounts Special Committee meeting to the remark by Baek Hyeryun, a member of the Democratic Party of Korea, that "a Blue House petition demanding the dismissal of the presiding judge due to the COVID-19 resurgence has surpassed 270,000 signatures," saying, "The partial approval of the rally led to a larger-than-expected mass gathering and became a trigger for the spread of COVID-19. The court is taking this situation very seriously."
Chief Cho said, "I read the ruling and believe it was a decision made amidst conflicting values between the people's fundamental right to freedom of assembly and the necessity of quarantine measures."
Regarding criticism that expert opinions should have been gathered during the injunction application review process, he said, "I agree with the point that expert opinions should be respected as much as possible, but the injunction case was filed on August 13, and the hearing and decision were made the next day, so it was difficult time-wise. However, in the future, it will be necessary to take measures to listen more to expert opinions."
Earlier, the 11th Administrative Division of the Seoul Administrative Court (Presiding Judge Park Hyungsun) partially approved the injunction application filed by the conservative group 'Taegukgi Revolution National Movement Headquarters' against Seoul Metropolitan City on the 14th of last month, and fully approved the injunction application filed by 'Ilpamanpa' against Seoul City.
Both groups had reported to Seoul City on the 15th of last month their intention to march with about 2,000 people near the rotary in Jung-gu, Seoul, and the Euljiro entrance rotary section, but when the city issued a ban on outdoor rallies, they filed injunction applications with the court.
Ultimately, more than 10,000 people from across the country gathered for the August 15 rally, which proceeded as planned, and as many COVID-19 cases were confirmed among participants, the bench that approved the injunction faced heavy criticism.
A Blue House petition titled "Request for the dismissal of the judge who approved the August 15 Gwanghwamun protest" has gained the support of approximately 341,718 people as of 1:50 AM on the 1st. / Photo by Blue House National Petition screen capture
View original imageAfter the rally was approved, a petition titled 'Dismissal of the judge who approved the August 15 Gwanghwamun protest' was posted on the Blue House petition board. As of 1:50 PM on the 1st, the petition had garnered approximately 341,718 signatures.
Meanwhile, on the 31st of last month, the KBA issued a statement urging the political sphere and the public to immediately stop attacks against the judiciary.
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- [Breaking] Samsung Electronics Union: "Mediation Ends Due to Management's Rejection... General Strike Tomorrow"
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "Looks Even More Like Him in Person": Crowds Gather to See 'Trump Lookalike' Albino Buffalo
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
The KBA emphasized, "We cannot help but express deep concern over the current situation that infringes on judicial independence and shakes the independence of the judiciary. Regardless of the correctness of the court's decision to approve the rally, if attacks and criticisms against individual judges continue, it will be difficult for judges to maintain their convictions."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.