So Su-jin: "Supporters of the ruling party seem unable to endure the questioning... Please continue sending donations for the 18th"
Choo Mi-ae, Son's Military Non-Return Suspicion... "Prosecutor-Media Collusion, Minister Undermining"
So Su-jin, a member of the United Future Party, is referring to the remarks of Kim Jong-min of the Democratic Party of Korea during a procedural speech at the plenary meeting of the Legislation and Judiciary Committee held at the National Assembly in Yeouido, Seoul on the 3rd. Photo by Yonhap News
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Kim Ga-yeon] Regarding the suspicion of 'military leave absence' involving Minister of Justice Choo Mi-ae's son, Rep. Cho Soo-jin of the United Future Party, who had pointed out delays in the investigation, revealed that she has been receiving '18(won) donations' or strange phone calls from ruling party supporters.
On the 26th, Rep. Cho posted on her Facebook, "Strange phone calls asking 'Did Cho Soo-jin's son go to the military?' are coming to my office in the National Assembly Members' Office Building," and criticized, "It seems that the president or the ruling party's extreme supporters cannot stand the questioning of the 'emperor desertion' suspicion of the 'Minister of Land and Justice's son'."
The 'Minister of Land and Justice' mentioned by Rep. Cho is interpreted as mocking Minister Choo, who recently expressed opinions related to real estate such as the 'separation theory of finance and real estate' and the 'baby and salt theory.'
She added, "I am also receiving '18(won) donations,' which imply abusive language," and said, "Please keep sending them. Many a little makes a mickle."
Earlier, on the 25th, during the plenary meeting of the Legislation and Judiciary Committee held at the National Assembly in Yeouido, Seoul, Minister Choo and Rep. Cho engaged in a tense exchange during a Q&A session.
On that day, Rep. Cho pointed out delays in the investigation. She questioned, "The prosecution is supposed to handle complaints and accusations within three months, and if it must exceed three months, it should explain the reasons to the complainants and accusers, but there has been no explanation regarding Minister Choo's son."
Minister Choo replied, "I have not received reports on the investigation, so I do not know," and said, "If you are curious, visit the Eastern District Prosecutors' Office to urge and inquire."
In response to continued allegations, Minister Choo raised her voice, saying, "I am also extremely curious; it is a very simple investigation," and added, "Sometimes I wonder if this is a collusion between the prosecution and the media, or an attempt to shake the minister."
Regarding Rep. Cho's question about whether Minister Choo plans to express regret for her remark 'You are writing a novel' directed at Rep. Yoon Han-hong of the United Future Party during the Judiciary Committee on the 27th of last month, Minister Choo responded, "The question itself was a personal attack," and said, "Other party members keep filing complaints on this issue, giving insults and attacks as if it were true, and I really feel it is 'like writing a novel.'"
Meanwhile, on the same day, Rep. Jeon Ju-hye of the United Future Party released a video containing Minister Choo's statement during the personnel hearing last December that "her son received sick leave and underwent surgery due to knee pain after enlisting."
Rep. Jeon claimed, "I received records from the Military Manpower Administration for 4,000 KATUSA soldiers from July 2016 to June 2020, and among those with the surname Seo (Minister Choo's son's surname), four people took leave for medical treatment after June 25, 2017, so they are unrelated to Minister Choo's son," and added, "There is no record of sick leave before June 25, 2017, the time when the military absence allegedly occurred."
She further questioned, "Did the minister lie during the hearing, or did the Military Manpower Administration and the Ministry of National Defense conceal the data?"
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- "I'll Stop by Starbucks Tomorrow": People Power Chungbuk Committee and Geoje Mayoral Candidate Face Criticism for Alleged 5·18 Demeaning Remarks
- Domestic Banks' Q1 Net Profit at 6.7 Trillion Won...Down 3.9%
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
In response, Minister Choo said, "Perhaps the member is estimating through external sources because personal data cannot be obtained due to the Personal Information Protection Act," and urged, "The prosecution should start an investigation immediately."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.