Free Comprehensive Maintenance of Abandoned Hazardous Signs After Closure or Relocation to Prevent Safety Accidents... Maintenance Project from May to November, 63 Signs Removed So Far

Seongdong-gu, Free Removal of Ownerless Dangerous Signs View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Jongil Park] Seongdong-gu (Mayor Jeong Wono) is carrying out maintenance of old signs left unattended without owners to prevent safety accidents in preparation for natural disasters such as wind and flood damage and to improve the urban landscape.


Although it is the principle that the owner should remove signs when a business closes or relocates, in reality, many signs remain unattended on streets due to various reasons such as economic burden.


Unattended signs are exposed to various natural disasters such as wind and floods without protection, which can cause safety accidents and also spoil the street appearance, making removal essential.


Accordingly, since May, the district has planned free removal of dangerous signs left unattended without owners and accepted applications for signs to be removed. After on-site inspection, priority removal targets were selected based on the degree of aging and damage or destruction of the advertisements, and after obtaining prior consent from the building owners or managers, full-scale removal began.


So far, a total of 63 signs have been removed. Applications for removal are accepted until October 30, and the project is scheduled to be completed by the end of November.


A district official said, “In addition to this dangerous sign maintenance project, we support business owners with subsidies for sign maintenance to improve old and dangerous illegal signs, and have completed sign improvement projects in major commercial areas such as Songjeong-dong and Seongsu-dong, striving to create a safe and pleasant urban landscape.”



Jeong Wono, Mayor of Seongdong-gu, said, “Due to the economic downturn and the impact of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), the number of small business closures has increased, leaving ownerless signs unattended and threatening pedestrian safety. We will continue the dangerous sign maintenance project in the second half of the year to prevent falling accidents and take the lead in creating a safe urban environment.”


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing