Jeju World Heritage Festival Held from September 4 to 20

Won Hee-ryong: "We Must Establish Standards for Korean Culture and Tourism After COVID-19" View original image


[Asia Economy Honam Reporting Headquarters Reporter Park Chang-won] Won Hee-ryong, Governor of Jeju Special Self-Governing Province, ordered thorough preparations to ensure that the ‘2020 World Heritage Festival - Jeju Volcanic Island and Lava Tubes’ event, held across the province from the 4th to the 20th of next month, becomes a starting point presenting the guidelines for cultural tourism in South Korea after COVID-19.


At the weekly policy coordination meeting held on the 11th, Governor Won instructed thorough preparations in promotion, transportation, culture and arts, and emergency fields to ensure that the Jeju World Heritage Festival proceeds as a national festival.


Governor Won said, “Innovative exhibitions and performances are scheduled to take place in UNESCO World Natural Heritage sites such as Geomunoreum and Seongsan Ilchulbong,” adding, “Each department should fully understand the progress to enhance Jeju’s brand not only during the COVID era but also after, and to present guidelines for cultural tourism in South Korea through festivals and travel.”


Governor Won also urged the establishment of plans for active participation and cooperation of residents for the successful hosting of the Jeju World Heritage Festival.


He said, “The Jeju World Heritage Festival has been reported multiple times through nationwide broadcasts and is recruiting program participants,” and added, “Please actively promote so that more residents can participate through their enthusiastic cooperation.”


He further requested, “Since most programs will be held in areas such as the Geomunoreum Lava Tube System, it is necessary to establish a transportation support system linked with existing bus routes during the festival period, including adjusting bus routes connecting trekking and exploration courses and operating shuttle buses.”


Additionally, he instructed active participation of the provincial dance troupe and arts groups, along with ▲administrative support for linking various events with Jeju travel and cultural programs, and ▲deployment of a safety team within the World Heritage Festival situation room to prepare for any accidents.


Jeju Province plans to hold a general meeting chaired by Executive Vice Governor Choi Seung-hyun to devise cooperation measures among related departments for the successful hosting of the Jeju World Heritage Festival.


Hosted by Jeju Province and the Cultural Heritage Administration, the Jeju World Heritage Festival was organized to widely promote the significance of the ‘Jeju Volcanic Island and Lava Tubes,’ registered as a UNESCO World Natural Heritage, and to share the universal value of the World Natural Heritage with all citizens.



Accordingly, various programs will be held at ▲Geomunoreum Lava Tube System ▲Hallasan ▲Seongsan Ilchulbong. Plans include opening previously undisclosed sections of the lava tube system, exhibitions of works by leading domestic and international land art artists, and performances.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing