"Not Banpo but Cheongju" Controversy After 6 Days... Criticism of "Selling Under Public Pressure"

No Young-min, Chief of Staff to the President (right), is talking with Kim Hyun-mi, Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, at the Cabinet meeting held at the Blue House on July 7. 2020.7.7 [Image source=Yonhap News]

No Young-min, Chief of Staff to the President (right), is talking with Kim Hyun-mi, Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, at the Cabinet meeting held at the Blue House on July 7. 2020.7.7 [Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

[Asia Economy Reporter Son Sun-hee] Noh Young-min, Chief Presidential Secretary of the Blue House, announced on the 8th, "I will also dispose of the apartment located in Seoul within this month." This comes six days after he, who was a multi-homeowner, revealed on the 2nd that he would sell the apartment in Cheongju, leaving only the apartment in Gangnam, sparking controversy. Regarding criticism that "the president's closest aide has joined the invincibility of Gangnam," he bowed his head and said, "I am sorry."


At around 9 a.m. that day, Noh stated on his Facebook, "Disposing of the apartment in Cheongju while keeping the apartment in Seoul appeared as if I was trying to protect the apartment in Seoul, which did not meet the public's expectations," and announced this decision. He said he would dispose of the apartment located in Banpo, Seocho-gu, Seoul, where his son is currently residing, "as soon as the family's housing issues are resolved." He added that the apartment in Cheongju, Chungbuk, which he had previously put up for sale, was sold on the 5th.


However, Noh repeatedly insisted that the criticism raised mainly in the real estate market was "different from the intention," arguing, "It was my own practice following the recommendation of one household, one house for senior public officials at the level of secretary or higher working at the Blue House. Considering that the apartment in Seoul is occupied by my family, and the apartment in Cheongju had been vacant for years while I served as ambassador to the UK and as Chief Presidential Secretary."


Furthermore, he said, "I will take this opportunity to reflect on myself once again and strive to be strict with myself," implying that he has no plans to resign due to this incident.


Within the ruling party, there are still criticisms that "just selling the Banpo apartment is not enough." This incident has ridiculed the real estate policies promoted by the Moon Jae-in administration, and key figures like Kim Jo-won, Senior Secretary for Civil Affairs, who still remain silent despite owning two apartments in Gangnam. As public sentiment is seriously divided, especially among the core support group of the '3040' generation, voices calling for Noh to resign as a form of 'taking responsibility' remain strong.



A ruling party official pointed out, "In the end, it seems like he is selling under pressure from public opinion," and added, "It remains unchanged that the Chief Presidential Secretary has caused great harm to President Moon Jae-in, who promised to 'definitely control housing prices.'"


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing