"North Korea's Key US Relations Figure Choe Son-hui... Ri Son-gwon's Appointment as Foreign Minister Is Not a Shift to Hardline US Policy"
Interview with Russian Ambassador to the US Joo-buk
"Signs of Dialogue Resumption Expected After US Presidential Election"
[Asia Economy Reporter Lee Hyun-woo] The Russian ambassador to North Korea stated on the 20th (local time) that North Korea's appointment of Ri Son-gwon as Minister of Foreign Affairs earlier this year does not signify a return to a hardline stance toward the United States. He analyzed that North Korea's U.S. policy remains largely unchanged under the jurisdiction of First Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs Choe Son-hui, and signs of resuming North Korea-U.S. negotiations will appear after the U.S. presidential election in November.
Alexander Matsegora, the Russian ambassador to North Korea, said in an interview with Russia's Interfax news agency on the same day, "It is difficult to directly link the appointment of Chairman Ri as Foreign Minister to an adjustment in North Korea's policy toward the U.S." He emphasized, "The issues related to North Korea's U.S. policy and the resulting nuclear matters have always been under the jurisdiction of First Vice Minister Choe, and this authority remains unchanged." This was a direct rebuttal to interpretations suggesting that the change in North Korea's Foreign Minister indicates a shift to a hardline diplomatic policy toward the U.S.
Ambassador Matsegora explained, "One must be very precise when quoting anything related to North Korea. Although North Korea expressed that there would be no further talks after the failure of the North Korea-U.S. negotiations held in Hanoi, Vietnam, in February last year, this should be understood as the U.S. side not being ready to sit at the negotiation table with North Korea." He added, "On January 11 this year, North Korean Foreign Ministry Adviser Kim Kye-gwan stated in a communiqu? that 'the U.S. is not prepared to accept the demands we have presented and is well aware that it cannot do so,' which clearly reflects North Korea's position."
Ambassador Matsegora further explained, "Previously, North Korea attempted to negotiate the lifting of U.S. sanctions in exchange for phased denuclearization measures, but now the precondition for dialogue with the U.S. is that the U.S. permanently abandon its hostile policy toward North Korea and prove it through concrete actions." He added, "North Korea is currently waiting for the U.S.' willingness to engage in dialogue while focusing on internal matters." He also noted, "North Korea is returning to the so-called 'byungjin line,' simultaneously pursuing the development of the civilian economy and strengthening national defense."
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- One in 77 Koreans Exposed to Drugs... Enough Money for 6,600 Luxury Gangnam Apartments Circulates in Drug Market [ChwiYakGukga] ⑩
- "Greater Impact on Women Than Men"... The 'Diet Trap' That Causes Sleepless Nights and Suffering
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
Regarding the timing of North Korea-U.S. dialogue, he projected it to be after the U.S. presidential election in November this year. Ambassador Matsegora said, "Although the exact timing is not yet visible, it appears that North Korea will postpone the timing of dialogue with the U.S. at least until the U.S. presidential election." He emphasized, "Russia is confident that negotiations will resume someday and is prepared to support both North Korea and the U.S."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.