[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

[Asia Economy Beijing=Special Correspondent Park Sunmi] The Global Times reported on the 28th that overseas demand for Chinese-made funeral products is surging.


According to Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba, overseas orders for Chinese-made funeral products in March this year increased by 487% compared to the previous month.


In particular, as the spread of COVID-19 expanded worldwide, orders for Chinese-made funeral products surged in the US, Mexico, and Italy from March 27 to April 25. Inquiries about body bags for corpses received from overseas in March increased by 22,000% compared to February, and inquiries about coffins also rose by 267% during the same period.


Tian Xianzi, deputy manager of Jiexianwu Trade, a Chinese company handling funeral products such as body bags, coffins, and urns, said this was the first time overseas demand exploded like this. Overseas inquiries increased tenfold, and actual orders increased up to five times. He explained that the main destinations for the products are the US and European countries.


Another funeral product manufacturer, Xieer Group, headquartered in Fujian Province, said that orders surged after the spread of COVID-19, leading them to invest tens of millions of yuan to expand production facilities. "Overseas order amounts are about 20% higher than the same period last year," they stated.



According to the COVID-19 tracking site of Johns Hopkins University, the global death toll from COVID-19 has surpassed 207,000 as of this date. Some claim that the number of COVID-19 deaths may be about 60% higher than the official statistics.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing