Ministry of Unification: "Cooperation on Epidemic Prevention Between South and North Korea Is Also Necessary"

President Moon Jae-in (center), U.S. President Trump (right), and Chairman Kim Jong-un talking at the inter-Korean-U.S. Panmunjom meeting in June last year.

President Moon Jae-in (center), U.S. President Trump (right), and Chairman Kim Jong-un talking at the inter-Korean-U.S. Panmunjom meeting in June last year.

View original image


On the 17th, the day after the ruling party secured an overwhelming victory with 180 seats in the 21st general election, the Ministry of Unification stated, "We hope that visits by our citizens to North Korea will take place in various forms, expanding opportunities for civilian exchanges between South and North Korea, and our position to actively promote individual tourism to North Korea remains unchanged."


Cho Hye-sil, deputy spokesperson of the Ministry of Unification, said at a regular briefing held at the Government Seoul Office Building that day, "We are still monitoring related trends such as the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19), and we plan to review the situation thoroughly while fully considering all circumstances."


The ministry also expressed its position to continuously review quarantine cooperation between South and North Korea.


Deputy spokesperson Cho said, "The government’s position that quarantine cooperation between South and North Korea is necessary remains unchanged," adding, "We plan to make judgments by comprehensively considering the domestic COVID-19 situation, the situation in North Korea, and international support trends." He added, "President Moon Jae-in emphasized the need for transboundary cooperation against non-traditional security threats such as COVID-19 in his March 1st Independence Movement Day speech."


Deputy spokesperson Cho also said, "President Moon stated in his New Year's address that efforts will be made to succeed in North Korea-US dialogue and to seek practical measures to further promote inter-Korean cooperation," adding, "In line with this policy, the government will continue to consistently strive to advance the Korean Peninsula peace process."

Cho Hye-sil, Deputy Spokesperson of the Ministry of Unification

Cho Hye-sil, Deputy Spokesperson of the Ministry of Unification

View original image


Regarding the fact that two former North Korean defectors were elected to the National Assembly as a result of the April 15 general election, he refrained from commenting.


Deputy spokesperson Cho said, "It is not appropriate for the government to evaluate the election results," and added, "Once the 21st National Assembly is organized, the government will closely cooperate with the National Assembly in the process of pursuing North Korea policy."


Regarding the unilateral announcement by the North last year about the demolition of the Kumgangsan tourism zone, Deputy spokesperson Cho stated that no special discussions have taken place between South and North Korea.


The Ministry of Unification is also monitoring the situation regarding the Wonsan-Galma tourism zone, which North Korea announced it would complete by April 15.



Deputy spokesperson Cho explained, "North Korea set the completion target date for the Wonsan-Galma coastal tourism zone, which Chairman Kim Jong-un inspected on April 6 last year, as April 15, 2020," but added, "So far, there has been no official report from North Korean media regarding whether it has been completed or delayed."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing