'Violated COVID-19 Assembly Ban' for 3rd Worship Service
Seoul City "1,200 Attendees"... Plans for Additional Prosecution
Individuals Fined Up to 3 Million Won Through Evidence Collection

Sarang Jeil Church Becomes Political Site Ahead of General Election
Pastor Kim Dong-hwan "Election Revolution Through Christian Voterism"

About 10 Conservative YouTubers Live Stream On Site
Encouraging Visits to Church Under Assembly Ban
"Exit 1 at Dolgoti Station..." Providing Location Details

On the 12th, Easter Sunday, despite Seoul city's order to ban gatherings and the filing of complaints to prevent the spread of COVID-19, Sunday worship services are being forcibly held at Sarang Jeil Church in Seongbuk-gu, Seoul. [Image source=Yonhap News]

On the 12th, Easter Sunday, despite Seoul city's order to ban gatherings and the filing of complaints to prevent the spread of COVID-19, Sunday worship services are being forcibly held at Sarang Jeil Church in Seongbuk-gu, Seoul. [Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


[Asia Economy Reporter Jeong Dong-hoon] Sarang Jeil Church in Seongbuk-gu, Seoul, where Jeon Gwang-hoon, the representative chairman of the Korea Christian Federation, serves as the senior pastor, forcibly held an Easter on-site worship service with about 1,200 believers gathered.


At 10:30 a.m. on the 12th, Sarang Jeil Church began the Easter worship service with about 1,200 believers gathered in the sanctuary and gymnasium.


◆Easter Worship Held Despite Two Complaints = The church received a prohibition order from Seoul City last month for violating the seven preventive rules against COVID-19, but it forcibly held gatherings on the 28th of last month and the 5th of this month, resulting in complaints. The prohibition order period was extended by two weeks until the 19th, but the worship service was still held on this day. The seven preventive rules for infectious disease include ▲checking for symptoms such as fever, cough, and sore throat before entry ▲wearing masks ▲providing hand sanitizer ▲maintaining a distance of more than 2 meters between believers during worship ▲prohibiting meal provision, etc.


From around 9 a.m., one and two by one, believers gathered and headed to the sanctuary an hour and a half before the worship started. The road in front of Sarang Jeil Church was filled with hundreds of police officers, Seoul City and Seongbuk-gu office staff, and church officials. 119 ambulances were also on standby in preparation for any patient occurrence. The police deployed about 300 officers from four companies, and Seoul City and Seongbuk-gu also deployed about 100 enforcement officers to respond to the situation on site.


A banner stating "According to Article 49 of the Infectious Disease Prevention and Control Act, gatherings are prohibited, so please cooperate" was hung on the road leading to the church, and notice boards in the name of the Seoul Mayor announcing the prohibition of gatherings were placed.


Church officials rebutted this as "worship obstruction crime." They blocked the entrance to the church holding placards based on Article 158 of the Criminal Act, which states, "Anyone who obstructs a funeral, memorial service, worship, or sermon shall be punished by imprisonment for not more than three years or a fine not exceeding 5 million won." On this day, the church checked visitors' temperatures, confirmed mask-wearing, and had them sign a guestbook before allowing entry.


Believers entering the church occasionally had scuffles with police, officials, and reporters. One believer shouted at the police, "Why are you blocking only church worship when clubs, entertainment bars, and wedding halls are all open?" Another believer said, "Communists are even blocking church worship."


Kim Ho-sung (64), a nearby resident who suffered damage due to the church worship and road occupation, said, "Do we really have to hold worship at a time when COVID-19 is spreading?" and added, "The commercial district has died due to COVID-19, and I am stressed by the noise from church worship and disputes every weekend."


Han Hwan-ho, an elder of Sarang Jeil Church, said, "Most believers who come to on-site worship have pure intentions and faith," and "They worship while maintaining personal hygiene such as hand washing and wearing masks." He added, "Praying in the sanctuary is as routine for believers as eating meals," and said, "(Sarang Jeil Church) has not had a single COVID-19 confirmed case, so the measures are excessive."


On the 12th, Easter Sunday, despite Seoul city's order to ban gatherings and the filing of complaints to prevent the spread of COVID-19, worshippers attended the Sunday service at Sarang Jeil Church in Seongbuk-gu, Seoul. <br>[Image source=Yonhap News]

On the 12th, Easter Sunday, despite Seoul city's order to ban gatherings and the filing of complaints to prevent the spread of COVID-19, worshippers attended the Sunday service at Sarang Jeil Church in Seongbuk-gu, Seoul.
[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image


◆Seoul City to File Additional Complaints...Individuals Attending Worship Also Fined = On this day, Seoul City announced plans to file additional complaints regarding Sarang Jeil Church's forced worship service.


Kim Kyung-tak, head of Seoul City's Cultural Policy Division, said at a briefing on site, "It is understood that about 1,200 believers entered the church," and "We tried to enter the church at 10:30 a.m. to check for violations of quarantine rules, but the church refused." He added, "Since they held a gathering again during the prohibition period, we will file complaints," and "About 600 people participated inside and outside respectively, and we have secured evidence."


Seoul City stated that under the Infectious Disease Prevention Act, individuals who violate the prohibition order and participate in worship will be fined up to 3 million won, and if confirmed cases occur due to forced worship, the city will claim compensation for all treatment and quarantine costs for confirmed and contact cases. In the case of Sarang Jeil Church, believers will also be prosecuted and fined through evidence collection.


Seoul City expects that the number of churches forcibly holding on-site worship on Easter will increase by about 10% compared to last week, reaching about 2,100 churches, which is one-third of the total 6,400 churches.


◆Church Becomes a 'Political Scene' Ahead of General Election = Political remarks were also made just three days before the general election. Pastor Kim Dong-hwan, who preached at Sarang Jeil Church worship on this day, said, "It is said that there are more than 100 Christians among members of the National Assembly, but no one stands up despite the prohibition of church worship," and claimed, "While many clubs and room salons are open, only churches are being oppressed." He continued, "Only Party A held a press conference in front of Seoul City Hall and issued a statement saying the prohibition order on churches is unfair," and said, "We must show 'Christian voterism' through elections and bring about an election revolution."



Conservative YouTubers who visited the site encouraged participation in the worship service at Sarang Jeil Church, which was under a prohibition order. They informed the church location, saying, "Exit 1 of Dolgoji Station on Subway Line 6, turn right immediately into the alley, and go straight," and claimed, "We must judge the left-wing government that obstructs worship." As a result, the number of people visiting the church increased even though they were not believers. A church official said, "There are definitely people who came for the first time today and are politically exploiting it," and added, "They are polluting the purity of worship."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing