Ambassador Jeong Eun-bo: "Proposed Memorandum of Understanding to US Side for Prioritizing Labor Cost Resolution... Apologize for Negotiation Delays"
Ambassador Jung: "Prepared to pursue the National Assembly ratification process twice"
Regarding the amendment proposed by the US side, "It is difficult to see it as a meaningful level"
Jeong Eun-bo, the Special Representative for U.S.-Korea Defense Cost-Sharing Talks, is briefing on the U.S.-Korea defense cost-sharing negotiations at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building in Jongno-gu, Seoul, on the 19th. Photo by Moon Ho-nam munonam@
View original image[Asia Economy Reporter Lim Cheol-young] "We have already proposed to the U.S. side a memorandum of exchange to prioritize resolving labor costs. Since the U.S. side has no objections regarding labor costs, we expect them to accept it."
Jeong Eun-bo, South Korea’s ambassador for the Special Measures Agreement (SMA) negotiations on defense cost-sharing between South Korea and the U.S., made these remarks on the afternoon of the 28th at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building regarding the U.S. Forces Korea’s plan for unpaid leave for Korean workers employed by the U.S. Forces Korea.
He explained the memorandum of exchange proposed to the U.S. side, saying, "It contains provisions to prioritize supporting labor costs for Korean workers from the defense cost-sharing budget secured at last year’s level, and to include this in the final SMA agreement once concluded."
To this end, the South Korean government is also prepared to undertake the National Assembly ratification process twice. Ambassador Jeong said, "The government is ready to proceed with the National Assembly ratification process twice if necessary to reach an SMA agreement without unpaid leave."
He expressed regret over the delay in additional negotiations. He also added that the amendments proposed by the U.S. side during the negotiation process are not considered meaningful.
Ambassador Jeong stated, "We have worked to achieve an acceptable result through fair cost-sharing and expanded mutual understanding through six rounds of consultations, but there were differences in positions preventing a final agreement. The government finds it difficult to view the amendments currently mentioned by the U.S. side as meaningful proposals, and despite repeated offers to meet for bilateral consultations, negotiations have been delayed."
The U.S. initially proposed a defense cost-sharing amount reaching 5 billion dollars but is known to have somewhat lowered it after one revision.
On the same day, the U.S. Forces Korea gave Korean workers employed by the U.S. Forces Korea a preliminary 30-day advance notice of potential unpaid leave. This has been analyzed as a pressure tactic in the defense cost-sharing negotiations, leading to ongoing criticism that the U.S. is holding Korean employees 'hostage' to gain an advantage in the negotiations.
In a press release, the U.S. Forces Korea stated, "The defense cost-sharing agreement has not been concluded, and the gap in the agreement continues. We have begun giving Korean workers a 30-day advance notice of unpaid leave that could take effect from April 1."
The U.S. Forces Korea explained that, according to U.S. law, they provide a one-month advance notice regarding unpaid leave to 9,000 Korean workers. Although the U.S. Department of Defense announced a decision to support the salaries of Korean workers engaged in key U.S. Forces Korea operations, the advance notice was given to all Korean workers.
U.S. Forces Korea Commander Robert Abrams said, "We highly appreciate our Korean staff and their contributions to the ROK-U.S. alliance. They are our employees, colleagues, and team members, absolutely essential to our mission." He added, "We have explored all options within our authority to delay the potential unpaid leave caused by the absence of a defense cost-sharing agreement, and we will continue to seek alternatives both before and during any unpaid leave period."
In response, Ambassador Jeong said, "Both South Korea and the U.S. share the recognition that unpaid leave for Korean workers of the U.S. Forces Korea is undesirable in light of strengthening and developing the ROK-U.S. alliance, stabilizing workers’ livelihoods, and maintaining the combined defense posture through stable U.S. Forces Korea presence. We deeply regret that this situation has occurred while the government is striving to conclude the SMA, and as the negotiation representative, I feel very sorry."
Hot Picks Today
"Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Don't Throw Away Coffee Grounds" Transformed into 'High-Grade Fuel' in Just 90 Seconds [Reading Science]
- "Am I Really in the Top 30%?" and "Worried About My Girlfriend in the Bottom 70%"... Buzz Over High Oil Price Relief Fund
- The Unexpected Story of an American Man Who Won the Lottery 18 Times in 29 Years: "My Real Luck Is My Wife"
- "Even With a 90 Million Won Salary and Bonuses, It Doesn’t Feel Like Much"... A Latecomer Rookie Who Beat 70 to 1 Odds [Scientists Are Disappearing] ③
The U.S. Forces Korea gave the Korean employees’ labor union a preliminary six-month advance notice of potential unpaid leave on October 1 last year. On the 29th of last month, they also gave a 60-day advance notice of potential unpaid leave.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.