"No Response to Every North Korean Propaganda Media"
"COVID-19 Situation in North Korea Will Follow North Korean Authorities' Announcements"

Former North Korean Embassy Minister to the UK Tae Yong-ho announced his entry into the Liberty Korea Party and his candidacy for the April 15 general election district on the 11th at the National Assembly. Photo by Yoon Dong-joo doso7@

Former North Korean Embassy Minister to the UK Tae Yong-ho announced his entry into the Liberty Korea Party and his candidacy for the April 15 general election district on the 11th at the National Assembly. Photo by Yoon Dong-joo doso7@

View original image


Regarding North Korea's harsh criticism on the 26th of Tae Yong-ho (Tae Gumin), former charg? d'affaires of the North Korean Embassy in the UK, the Ministry of Unification stated, "There is nothing special to comment on regarding the reports from North Korean propaganda media."


At a regular briefing held at the Government Seoul Office on the same day, Ministry of Unification spokesperson Yeo Sang-gi responded this way to a question asking whether North Korea's media criticism of former charg? d'affaires Tae is seen as North Korea's election interference ahead of the general election.


The Ministry of Unification has maintained a policy of not making special responses or remarks at the government level regarding North Korean propaganda media's criticism toward South Korea.


Regarding the status of the novel coronavirus infection (COVID-19) outbreak in North Korea, the ministry reiterated its existing position that it is closely monitoring announcements from North Korean authorities.


Spokesperson Yeo said, "We intend to judge the COVID-19 situation in North Korea based on announcements from North Korean authorities."


He added, "If COVID-19 cases occur in North Korea, the North Korean authorities are supposed to notify the World Health Organization (WHO), and we will cooperate with the WHO as well."


He refrained from commenting on speculation that the South Korea-US joint military exercises scheduled for March might be postponed.


Spokesperson Yeo said, "As for the South Korea-US joint exercises, I understand that consultations between the South Korean and US military authorities are currently underway," and added, "Once the consultations are finalized, we will announce our position separately."


Meanwhile, on the same day, North Korea's external propaganda media 'Meari' published an article titled "The Recruitment Game of Confrontation Fanatics' Trash," claiming that the United Future Party recruited former North Korean defector Ji Seong-ho (39) and former charg? d'affaires Tae Yong-ho, stating, "Driving such human trash as the vanguard of inter-Korean confrontation is an unbearable challenge to the nation's aspiration for unification."


This is the first time North Korean media has mentioned former charg? d'affaires Tae's recruitment by the United Future Party.


Meari described former charg? d'affaires Tae as "a despicable scoundrel who committed all sorts of dirty crimes such as embezzlement of state funds and statutory rape of minors in our republic, fled to escape the stern judgment of the law, and is trash that cannot be considered human."


However, the authenticity of these claims has not been verified.



Tae Yong-ho, who defected to South Korea in August 2016 while working at the North Korean Embassy in the UK, was recruited earlier this month as the United Future Party's first strategic nomination (priority recommendation) talent.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing