"To Prevent the Spread of Novel Coronavirus"
Notification via Fax with Direct Seoul-Pyongyang Line
All-Out Effort to Prevent Infection Including Border Closure

North Korean State Affairs Commission Chairman Kim Jong-un conducted an on-site inspection of the Mount Kumgang tourist area and ordered the dismantling of South Korean facilities installed in Mount Kumgang, the Korean Central News Agency reported on October 23 last year.

North Korean State Affairs Commission Chairman Kim Jong-un conducted an on-site inspection of the Mount Kumgang tourist area and ordered the dismantling of South Korean facilities installed in Mount Kumgang, the Korean Central News Agency reported on October 23 last year.

View original image


North Korea has notified the South that it will temporarily postpone the dismantling of facilities in the Mount Kumgang tourism zone in order to focus on preventing the spread of the novel coronavirus infection (Wuhan pneumonia).


On the 31st, Yeosang-gi, spokesperson for the Ministry of Unification, stated at a regular briefing, "North Korea informed us on the 30th around 11 p.m. via fax connected through the direct phone line between Seoul and Pyongyang, under the name of the Mount Kumgang International Tourism Bureau, that it will temporarily postpone the dismantling schedule of the Mount Kumgang zone to prevent the risk of transmission of the new coronavirus."


Earlier on the 30th, the South and North Korean authorities agreed to temporarily suspend the operation of the Kaesong liaison office as a preventive measure against the spread of the new coronavirus, and instead decided to install a separate telephone and fax line between Seoul and Pyongyang.


On the 30th around 10:30 p.m., the two sides confirmed the connection status after a test call on the direct telephone line between Seoul and Pyongyang, which was installed in place of the liaison office. Both sides agreed to operate the communication system from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and accordingly, a call was conducted at 9 a.m. on the 31st.


Regarding North Korea's notification, the government has reportedly not yet sent a reply. Spokesperson Ye said, "We received the notification document yesterday, but it is not yet known whether we have sent a reply." He added, "So far, South and North Korea have continued consultations on the Mount Kumgang issue through document negotiations and other methods," and explained, "Further consultations are needed to determine when discussions will resume."


North Korea has demanded 'complete dismantling of facilities and document negotiations' since Chairman Kim Jong-un inspected Mount Kumgang on October 23 last year (according to North Korean media reports) and ordered, "Remove the shabby South Korean facilities that make one feel bad just by looking at them."


At the end of last month, North Korea also sent a notification to the South through the Kaesong Inter-Korean Joint Liaison Office demanding the removal of all South Korean facilities in Mount Kumgang by February.


Meanwhile, North Korea has launched an 'all-out effort' including closing its borders to prevent the novel coronavirus.


North Korea has decided to temporarily suspend passenger train operations between North Korea and China. Passenger trains running between Pyongyang and Beijing stopped operating on the 30th.


Additionally, North Korea has halted group tour programs for foreigners as well as visa issuance for foreigners, effectively blocking entry. Foreigners who have already entered are subject to a one-month quarantine.


On the 28th, North Korea announced that it would upgrade its hygiene and quarantine system to a 'national emergency quarantine system' in preparation for the novel coronavirus.



An official from the Ministry of Unification said on the 30th, "(North Korea is) being very cautious and taking strengthened measures regarding the novel coronavirus, including declaring a national emergency quarantine system recently," and explained, "Compared to past outbreaks like SARS and MERS, this is an unusual trend."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing