"Sexual Assault During Filming": Scandal as UK Reality Show Contestants Speak Out
Three Female Participants Allege Sexual Assault
Male Contestants Deny the Allegations
Broadcaster Removes All Seasons from Its Platform
Allegations of sexual assault have emerged surrounding the UK version of the popular British marriage reality program, 'Blind Wedding: Married at First Sight UK.' Channel 4 has removed all previously released seasons from its platform and has launched an external review.
On May 20, the BBC current affairs program 'Panorama' reported the claims of three women who recently appeared on 'Blind Wedding.' Two of the women alleged that they were raped by male participants during filming, while another woman said she was subjected to non-consensual sexual acts.
'Blind Wedding' is a reality program in which unfamiliar men and women meet for the first time at the wedding ceremony, live as a married couple, and then decide whether to continue the relationship. First produced in Denmark in 2013, it gained popularity as local versions were created in several countries including the United Kingdom, the United States, and Australia. Channel 4
View original image'Blind Wedding' is a reality program in which unfamiliar men and women meet for the first time at a wedding ceremony, live as a married couple, and then decide whether to continue their relationship. First produced in Denmark in 2013, it gained popularity with local versions made in various countries such as the United Kingdom, the United States, and Australia.
According to the BBC, one female participant stated that she clearly refused to have sex with her male counterpart, but claimed he committed sexual assault, saying, "You can't refuse because you are my wife." She reported that she suffered bruises from violent sexual encounters and was also threatened with an acid attack.
The male participant in question denied the allegations. His legal representative told the BBC that all sexual contact was consensual. Another female participant stated that while intercourse initially began with consent, it continued after she withdrew her consent, and her male counterpart did not stop. According to foreign media, she claimed that she informed Channel 4 and the production company CPL about the incident before the broadcast, but her appearance was still aired as it was.
The third participant, Shona Manderson, alleged that her counterpart, Bradley Skelly, did not use contraception without her consent. Manderson later underwent an abortion but said it is unclear whether her pregnancy was the result of that act. Skelly's side denied the allegations, saying their relationship was based on mutual consent and consideration.
As the controversy grew, Channel 4 deleted all episodes from seasons 1 to 10 of 'Blind Wedding' from its streaming and live broadcast services. Related social media channels were also taken down. In an official statement, Channel 4 said, "We have received extremely serious misconduct allegations related to some former participants," adding that "the participants in question have denied the allegations." The company explained that it could not disclose specific details of the allegations in order to protect participants’ privacy and for duty of care.
Hot Picks Today
"Only Two Per Person" Garbage Bag Crisis Was Just Yesterday... Japan Also Faces Shortage Anxiety
- "Samsung Electronics Employee with 100 Million Won Salary Receiving 600 Million Won Bonus... Estimated Tax Revealed"
- Lived as Family for Over 30 Years... Daughter-in-Law Cast Aside After Husband's Death
- 'Will Demand Finally Decline Due to High Prices?'... "I'll Just Enjoy Nearby Trips" as Japan and China See a Surge
- "Wore It Once, Then This? White Spots All Over 4.15 Million Won Prada Jacket... 'Full Refund Ordered'"
Channel 4 stated that it commissioned an external review last month. The review will examine the participant protection procedures in place at the time of the program, as well as how Channel 4 and CPL responded after the allegations were raised. Whether there is a need to further strengthen current participant protection systems will also be separately reviewed. Channel 4 CEO Priya Dogra said, "Participant welfare is always the top priority," adding, "We believe it is right to review how we handled the issues raised at the time and to consider whether changes are needed to strengthen participant protection."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.