Ju Ho-young, Deputy Speaker of the National Assembly, who was cut off (excluded from nomination) in the People Power Party's nomination process for Daegu mayor, commented on March 26 regarding the possibility of running as an independent candidate, saying, "I am preparing for all possible scenarios." Deputy Speaker Ju has previously filed for an injunction at the Seoul Southern District Court to suspend the effectiveness of his exclusion from the nomination process.


Yonhap News Agency

Yonhap News Agency

View original image

On the afternoon of the same day, Deputy Speaker Ju held a press conference at the National Assembly, and when asked about the possibility of running as an independent should the court dismiss his injunction request, he stated, "I am not considering the possibility of dismissal," but added that he was prepared. Previously, the People Power Party's nomination committee had cut off both Deputy Speaker Ju and former Korea Communications Commission Chairperson Lee Jin-sook from the nomination process.


Regarding the reason for filing this injunction, Deputy Speaker Ju said, "It is not because I have become a victim of retaliatory or targeted nominations," and added, "Correcting wrongful nominations being carried out across the country is a prerequisite for victory in this local election."


On the request by Chairperson Jang Dong-hyuk for Deputy Speaker Ju to make a sacrifice, Ju remarked, "A sacrifice should be a major one for the sake of election victory, but is he asking me to turn a blind eye to the nomination committee repeatedly engaging in conduct that ruins our chances of winning?" He continued, "I would appreciate an explanation as to what I am sacrificing for and why."



Regarding the so-called "Ju-Han Alliance" scenario, in which, if Deputy Speaker Ju runs for Daegu mayor as an independent, former leader Han Dong-hoon could run in the ensuing by-election for the National Assembly seat representing the Suseong A district in Daegu, Ju said, "I have my own urgent matters to deal with," and added, "I have neither met nor contacted former leader Han separately."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing