"Iran Sets Forth 'Demands' Including War Reparations in Response to U.S. Ceasefire Proposal" [U.S.-Iran War]
U.S. Official Calls Iran’s Demands "Outrageous"
Uncertainty Remains Over Prospects for High-Level Talks
Vice President Vance Expected to Attend if Held
Ceasefire negotiations between the United States and Iran were expected to take place as early as next week, but in reality, Iran is said to have set forth demanding conditions, including war reparations.
On the 24th (local time), vehicles are passing through the roads of Tehran, the capital of Iran. Next to the road, there is a billboard displaying images of the late Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, former Supreme Leader of Iran, and Sayyed Mojtaba Khamenei, the current Supreme Leader of Iran. People are passing under a billboard showcasing portraits of the late Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and his son Mojtaba Khamenei, who has been designated as his successor. March 24, 2026. Photo by AP Yonhap News.
View original imageAccording to The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) on the 25th (local time), citing sources familiar with the matter, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) is consolidating power in Iran, and the Iranian side has presented a "high bar" of requirements to accept the U.S. proposal.
WSJ reported that Iran's main conditions include: ▲ the closure of all U.S. military bases in the Gulf region; ▲ compensation for attacks on Iran; ▲ establishment of a new order that would allow Iran to levy transit fees on ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz; ▲ guarantees to prevent the recurrence of war; ▲ cessation of Israeli attacks on Hezbollah, the pro-Iranian armed group in Lebanon; ▲ complete lifting of sanctions against Iran; and ▲ maintenance of Iran's missile program (excluding negotiations on restrictions).
Previously, Israel’s Channel 12, citing sources, reported the previous day that "Jared Kushner, son-in-law of U.S. President Donald Trump, and Steve Witkoff, Middle East envoy, drafted a preliminary agreement with Iran." The report added, "They proposed a one-month ceasefire to Iran and delivered 15 demands. Both sides plan to negotiate the terms during the ceasefire period, and only President Trump’s final approval remains."
According to Channel 12, the United States has asked Iran to: ▲ dismantle its nuclear capabilities; ▲ halt financial and weapons support for proxy forces in the Middle East; ▲ limit the number and range of ballistic missiles; and ▲ keep the Strait of Hormuz open. The outlet noted that, due to the differences between the two countries' positions, it would be difficult to reach an immediate agreement. It also mentioned a scenario in which both sides would reach a general agreement in principle, leaving the core issues to be resolved through negotiations.
A U.S. government official told WSJ that Iran’s demands are "outrageous and unrealistic." Officials from the Middle East and the U.S. government analyzed that this hardline stance could make reaching an agreement even more difficult than before President Trump initiated the war.
In particular, the issue of war reparations for Iran is known to be a field where President Trump has drawn a firm line, stating that it is "not even worth discussing." This is because agreeing to such demands would be tantamount to the United States admitting de facto defeat. However, U.S. political outlet Axios, citing a U.S. official, suggested that an indirect alternative could be considered, such as returning Iran's frozen assets and treating them as compensation.
Currently, according to WSJ, the United States and Iran are only communicating through mediators in the Middle East. As reported by the Financial Times (FT) and others, Pakistan’s Army Chief Asim Munir is playing a key role as a chief mediator in the war between the two countries. Pakistan is said to have played a central role in the process of the United States presenting 15 demands to Iran. Axios also reported that Egypt and Qatar are involved.
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- Individual Investors Absorb Foreign Sell-Off... Concerns Over Becoming "Cannon Fodder" Emerge
- "This Strike Must Fail": Criticism Emerges Within Samsung as DS-MX Conflict Surfaces
- Trump Holds Off on Iran Strike as Iran Submits New Ceasefire Plan...Markets Relieved (Comprehensive)
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
Meanwhile, Axios reported on this day, citing multiple sources, that "the United States and regional mediators are discussing the possibility of holding high-level peace talks with Iran as early as Thursday." The outlet previously mentioned that if such high-level talks are held, Vice President JD Vance is highly likely to participate. However, it also reported that the chances of the talks taking place are not high.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.