Possible Prolonged Disruptions to Passage Could Impact Energy and Economy

Thorough Review Under Domestic Laws, Procedures, and Security Readiness

International Community Discusses Coordinated Response

The Blue House announced that it is closely coordinating with major allies, including the United States, regarding the potential blockade of the Strait of Hormuz due to instability in the Middle East. The administration stated that it will carefully weigh a combination of options optimized for national interests, considering domestic law, readiness on the Korean Peninsula, energy supply, and economic impact, while upholding the principles of international maritime safety and freedom of navigation.


President Lee Jae-myung commuted to the Blue House, and on the 29th, marking the official start of the Blue House era again after 3 years and 7 months, the phoenix flag was hoisted at the Blue House in Seoul. 2025.12.29 Photo by Cho Yongjun

President Lee Jae-myung commuted to the Blue House, and on the 29th, marking the official start of the Blue House era again after 3 years and 7 months, the phoenix flag was hoisted at the Blue House in Seoul. 2025.12.29 Photo by Cho Yongjun

View original image

On March 20, a senior official at the Blue House said, "The situation in the Middle East is a significant international issue, and the possibility of a prolonged crisis cannot be ruled out. In particular, disruptions in the Strait of Hormuz would have a direct impact on our energy supply and the economy." The official also explained, "We are in close communication with key allies, including the United States, and are engaging in multifaceted consultations regarding the Strait of Hormuz."


The official continued, "Both the United Nations Security Council and the International Maritime Organization (IMO) are viewing the current situation in the Strait of Hormuz with grave concern and have raised the need for a concerted international response. Several countries are reviewing their own contributions to help ensure freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz."


The Blue House reaffirmed its longstanding stance that the safety and freedom of navigation along international maritime routes is in the interest of all countries. The official stated, "Our government maintains the fundamental position that the safety and freedom of navigation of international maritime routes serve the interests of all nations and are protected under international law. Based on this, we hope that the global maritime logistics network can be restored as soon as possible." Regarding the decision-making process for actual responses, the official said, "We are carefully reviewing countermeasures while taking into account our domestic laws and procedures, as well as readiness on the Korean Peninsula," adding, "We are seeking a combination of options that are optimized for our national interests."


The reason the Blue House and government are proceeding with caution and maintaining close communication with allies is that the situation in the Strait of Hormuz is not a simple regional conflict, but one with ramifications for the global economy as a whole. The Strait of Hormuz is a vital corridor for a significant portion of the world's crude oil and liquefied natural gas shipments. Given South Korea's high dependence on Middle Eastern oil and gas, a prolonged blockade or disruption in the strait could place a considerable burden on domestic prices and the broader industrial sector.


Previously, U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Foreign Minister Cho Hyun agreed in a phone call on March 16 that freedom of navigation through the Strait of Hormuz is crucial for both South Korea and the global economy, and decided to maintain close consultations on the matter. According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Secretary Rubio emphasized, "In order to ensure long-term safety in the Strait of Hormuz and stabilize the global economy and international oil prices, cooperation among multiple countries is more important than ever." In response, Minister Cho stated, "Peace in the Middle East and safe, free navigation through the Strait of Hormuz are extremely important for the security and economy of all countries, including Korea," and called for continued close cooperation.


The International Maritime Organization (IMO), in a recent emergency discussion, called for the establishment of secure corridors to protect ships and crew stranded in the western waters of the Strait of Hormuz. On March 19, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Japan, and Canada issued a joint statement, emphasizing that freedom of navigation is a fundamental principle of international law and expressing their readiness to contribute to efforts to restore normalcy in the strait.



The Blue House is currently prioritizing diplomatic coordination and situation management. Since the crisis in the Middle East could be prolonged, the government is developing response measures based on three pillars: the protection of Korean vessels and citizens, stabilization of energy supply, and international cooperation.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing