"Kim Jong Un May Consider Dialogue Instead of Relying on Nuclear Weapons"

Minister of Foreign Affairs Cho Hyun commented on the possibility that the tense situation in the Middle East could affect North Korea-US relations, stating, "This situation may be one of the factors to consider, but the will of US President Donald Trump and the response of North Korean State Affairs Commission Chairman Kim Jong Un will be crucial."


Minister Cho Hyun of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who visited the United States for the Korea-US Foreign Ministers' Meeting, returned to Korea through Terminal 2 of Incheon International Airport on the 7th of last month. Photo by Yonhap News

Minister Cho Hyun of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, who visited the United States for the Korea-US Foreign Ministers' Meeting, returned to Korea through Terminal 2 of Incheon International Airport on the 7th of last month. Photo by Yonhap News

View original image

On March 5, appearing on SBS Radio's "Kim Tae Hyun's News Show," Minister Cho said, "If President Trump decides to meet with Chairman Kim, then it will happen," expressing this view.


There are rising expectations that a North Korea-US summit could be arranged in connection with President Trump's planned visit to China in April. However, as instability grows in the Middle East following the US and Israel's airstrikes on Iran and Iran's retaliatory missile launches, some analysts suggest this could reduce the likelihood of North Korea coming to the table for dialogue.


When asked whether Chairman Kim might refuse to abandon nuclear weapons after witnessing the recent US strikes against nuclear-armed Iran, Minister Cho responded, "It is also possible that he might consider that nuclear weapons are not necessary, and that dialogue is the way forward."


Regarding the possibility that the recent situation in the Middle East could turn into a prolonged conflict or escalate into neighboring countries, Minister Cho stated, "Both the US and Iran share concerns about escalation or a prolonged war, so I believe they may eventually move toward some form of conclusion."


Concerning the economic impact—such as a drop in the KOSPI index—stemming from Iran's blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, Minister Cho explained, "We are discussing countermeasures and emergency protection plans with the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy, other relevant ministries, major oil-producing countries, and fellow trading nations. For now, we are focusing on short-term responses."



Additionally, Minister Cho said, "We have established a task force for the protection of overseas Korean nationals in around ten Middle Eastern countries, and we are maintaining hourly contact and preparing evacuation plans, including the possible deployment of chartered flights, to ensure we are fully prepared."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing