Yonhap News Agency

Yonhap News Agency

View original image

On December 3, President Lee Jaemyung stated that he is willing to apologize to North Korea regarding the leaflet campaigns conducted by the Yoon Suk Yeol administration. However, he also mentioned that he has not done so due to concerns about being labeled as pro-North Korea.


During a press conference with foreign correspondents held at the Blue House State Guest House in the morning to mark one year since the 12·3 Martial Law, President Lee was asked whether he would consider issuing a state-level apology for the previous administration’s leaflet operations to ease tensions with North Korea. He responded as above.


President Lee said, "I wonder if you asked that question because you can see into my mind," and confessed, "I'm glad you asked, but I also feel like my true feelings have been exposed."


He stated, "I think we should apologize," but added, "I am worried that it could easily become a tool for so-called pro-North Korea accusations and political ideological confrontation, so I have not been able to say it openly."


After finishing his answer, President Lee remained silent for about three seconds, then laughed loudly and said, "I will just leave it at that," refraining from further comment.



Previously, on December 1, President Lee referenced an article about the South Korean military's psychological operations unit’s leaflet campaign toward North Korea on his X (formerly Twitter) account, saying, "We were on the brink of war... The great Republic of Korea prevented it."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing