Seo Youngkyo: "Is There Really a Trial for Eating Just One?"... The 'Choco Pie Theft Case' Raised at the National Assembly Audit
Jeong Jaegyu, Chief Judge of Jeonju District Court:
"I will review the case again"
Seo Youngkyo, a member of the Democratic Party of Korea, requested that Jeong Jaegyu, Chief Judge of the Jeonju District Court, reconsider the so-called "Choco Pie theft case," which involved damages of 1,050 won.
On the 21st, during the National Assembly Legislation and Judiciary Committee's audit, Seo held up a placard describing the case and asked Chief Judge Jeong, "How much are a Choco Pie and a custard?"
When Chief Judge Jeong replied, "1,050 won," Seo pointed out, "A subcontracted employee at a logistics company was put on trial for eating just one of these."
Seo continued, "Is it really wrong for a subcontracted employee to eat a Choco Pie?" and added, "He ate it because he was told he could eat what was in the refrigerator. Isn't there room for dispute here?"
She further explained, "This case is currently under appeal at the Jeonju District Court, and the defendant works for a fourth-tier subcontractor. Please review this case carefully once again."
Seo Younggyo of the Democratic Party speaking at the National Assembly's Legislation and Judiciary Committee.
View original imageChief Judge Jeong responded, "I understand," and said he would re-examine the case during the trial process.
The Choco Pie theft case involves Mr. A (41), an employee of a security company at a logistics firm in Wanju County, North Jeolla Province, who was fined 50,000 won in the first trial for taking one Choco Pie and one custard from the office refrigerator on January 18 last year.
The first trial court stated, "It is favorable that the defendant admitted to the facts of the crime and that the damages are minor," but added, "However, considering that the victim has not forgiven the defendant, as well as the motive, method, and circumstances after the crime, the fine imposed by the summary order is not excessive."
However, as the snacks Mr. A took were worth only 1,050 won, labor unions and civic groups have criticized the punishment as excessive.
Hot Picks Today
"Could I Also Receive 370 Billion Won?"... No Limit on 'Stock Manipulation Whistleblower Rewards' Starting the 26th
- Samsung Electronics Labor-Management Reach Agreement, General Strike Postponed... "Deficit-Business Unit Allocation Deferred for One Year"
- "From a 70 Million Won Loss to a 350 Million Won Profit with Samsung and SK hynix"... 'Stock Jackpot' Grandfather Gains Attention
- "Stocks Are Not Taxed, but Annual Crypto Gains Over 2.5 Million Won to Be Taxed Next Year... Investors Push Back"
- "Who Is Visiting Japan These Days?" The Once-Crowded Tourist Spots Empty Out... What's Happening?
Mr. A has appealed and is contesting his innocence, as a theft conviction under the Security Services Act could result in the loss of his job.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.