Gyeonggi Province Governor Kim Dong-yeon is taking a commemorative photo with attendees at the 'Disabled Orchestra Founding Plan Announcement Ceremony' held at the Gyeonggi Art Center on the 9th.

Gyeonggi Province Governor Kim Dong-yeon is taking a commemorative photo with attendees at the 'Disabled Orchestra Founding Plan Announcement Ceremony' held at the Gyeonggi Art Center on the 9th.

View original image

Gyeonggi Province is accepting applications for members of the ‘Gyeonggi-do Disabled Orchestra’ until October 10, ahead of its official launch on December 3.


On the 9th, at the announcement ceremony held at the Gyeonggi Arts Center, Governor Kim Dong-yeon said, "The proposal was first made during a policy inquiry session at the Gyeonggi Provincial Council, and I promised on the spot to make it happen," adding, "The provincial government accepted the council’s proposal, and if playing instruments is called a concerto, then politically, this is a product of cooperative governance."


He then summarized two key features of the Gyeonggi-do Disabled Orchestra.


He emphasized, "First, it is a talent development orchestra, where people with disabilities who are interested in music or playing instruments can participate, receive education, and develop themselves, creating a pathway for anyone to realize their dream of performing."


He continued, "Second, it is a citizen participation model. Citizens can donate money, contribute their talents, provide venues, attend performances, or if they are unable to do so, they can even donate their goodwill," promising, "I will be the first to donate."


In particular, he expressed his aspiration, saying, "Through the Disabled Orchestra, I want to give dreams and hope to people with disabilities," and "I want to create a society in Gyeonggi Province where people with and without disabilities can enjoy equal rights, exercise those rights, and enjoy freedom, living together harmoniously."


Kim Jin-kyung, Chairperson of the Gyeonggi Provincial Council, said, "I would like to thank Governor Kim Dong-yeon for igniting the creation of our orchestra for an inclusive and harmonious Gyeonggi Province. It seems that the proposal came from Chairperson Lee Young-bong and Assemblyman Jang Han-byeol of the Culture, Sports and Tourism Committee during the first half of the council session," adding, "The Gyeonggi Provincial Council will communicate and cooperate with the executive branch to carry out legislative activities with a truly positive and transformative approach, keeping the citizens in mind."


The Gyeonggi-do Disabled Orchestra was initiated after Governor Kim Dong-yeon promptly accepted Assemblyman Jang Han-byeol’s proposal during a policy inquiry session at the Gyeonggi Provincial Council in November last year.


The operation of the Disabled Orchestra will be managed by the Gyeonggi Arts Center, which also leads the Gyeonggi Philharmonic Orchestra and the Gyeonggi Sinawi Orchestra. It will be run with around 40 members per term, each term lasting two years, targeting registered disabled persons aged 19 and older within the province.


The first recruitment of members will take place from October 2 to 10, with selections made in November after practical skill evaluations. Recruitment fields include string instruments, woodwind instruments, brass instruments, and percussion. The conductor who will lead the members will be recruited from September 19 to 24 and hired by mid-October. The orchestra’s launch will be held on December 3 to commemorate the International Day of Persons with Disabilities. Detailed information about recruitment will be posted on the Gyeonggi Arts Center website on October 10.


During the two-year activity period, members will receive monthly practice allowances covering rehearsal and transportation costs, as well as separate performance allowances for concerts. To enhance their musical skills, members will receive intensive instruction twice a week from professional instructors. Various collaborations with the Gyeonggi Philharmonic Orchestra and others will also be pursued.


This approach differs from other public institutions’ disabled orchestras, which operate with salaried regular members. Gyeonggi Province plans to operate the orchestra by providing focused education tailored to members’ levels and diverse performance experiences over the two-year period to support the growth of people with disabilities into professional artists.


In particular, Gyeonggi Province aims to operate the nation’s first talent development-type disabled orchestra that encourages and shares the artistic activities and growth of people with disabilities with its citizens. To this end, it is recruiting donors for financial support, as well as volunteers and supporters for talent donations such as composition, arrangement, ensemble participation, photography, and video.



Meanwhile, about 400 people attended the announcement ceremony, including Lee Hoon, a left-handed pianist and ambassador for the ‘Gyeonggi-do Disabled Orchestra,’ broadcaster Kim Kyung-ran, representatives from private disabled orchestras, and officials related to disability welfare.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing