Kim Tae-hyo: "US Security Umbrella May Weaken if Trump Wins... Opportunity for Defense Industry"
"Economic Sanctions and Other Demands for Increased Pressure on China May Grow"
Kim Tae-hyo, the First Deputy Director of the National Security Office, predicted that if former President Donald Trump wins the U.S. presidential election, "there is a possibility that the U.S. security umbrella could weaken."
Kim Tae-hyo, the First Deputy Director of the National Security Office, is explaining President Yoon Suk-yeol's '8.15 Unification Doctrine' at the Presidential Office building in Yongsan, Seoul, on the 15th of last month.
[Photo by Yonhap News]
On the 3rd, at the 1st Sejong Open Forum held at the Sejong Institute in the Yonhap News Building, Jongno-gu, Seoul, Kim gave a keynote lecture on the topic of "The U.S. Election and South Korea's Diplomatic and Security Strategy." He said that if a second Trump administration becomes a reality, "there is a possibility that the U.S. might propose negotiations from a cost perspective regarding the deployment of strategic assets it provides to us."
This is interpreted to mean that if former President Trump, who views alliances from a cost perspective, returns to power, the U.S.'s willingness to provide extended deterrence against North Korean threats may not be as strong as it is under the current Biden administration.
However, Kim believed that the achievements and cooperative systems established during the Trump administration, such as the trilateral Camp David summit last year between South Korea, the U.S., and Japan, would be maintained. He stated, "The Camp David achievements, which the U.S. deems essential in the security sector?such as the existing real-time sharing system of North Korean missile warning information, multi-year trilateral training plans, and cyber cooperation?will not be tampered with."
Kim said that if Trump is elected, "because crisis and opportunity factors coexist extremely, a bolder and more sophisticated strategy will be necessary," citing defense exports as an opportunity factor. He explained that as security concerns grow in conflict regions, opportunities for South Korea's defense exports could increase in various areas.
He added that the U.S. is increasing its defense spending not only due to competition with China but also because of the Ukraine war and Middle East situations. "If U.S. defense spending increases, the possibility of South Korean defense companies entering the U.S. market will grow accordingly, especially in ship repair and maintenance, where South Korea excels significantly, and the U.S. strongly desires our assistance," he elaborated. He also noted that pressure on Chinese-made auto parts and batteries could result in a spillover benefit for South Korean products.
However, Kim noted that if Trump returns to power, demands for South Korea's participation in economic sanctions and political, diplomatic, and military pressure against China could increase. "Regarding issues in the East China Sea, South China Sea, and the broader Indo-Pacific region, the Republican Party is more likely than the Democratic Party to demand a clearer stance and contribution from South Korea," he said.
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "If That's the Case, Why Not Just Buy Stocks?" ETFs in Name Only, Now 'Semiconductor-Heavy' and a Playground for Short-Term Traders
- [Breaking] Park Sukeun, Central Labor Relations Commission Chair: "Some Gaps Narrowed Between Samsung Electronics Labor and Management"
- "I Take Full Responsibility"... Chung Yongjin Issues Direct Apology for Starbucks 'May 18 Controversy' (Update)
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
He predicted that former President Trump would still desire a summit with North Korea, saying, "The Kim Jong-un leadership will exploit Trump's showmanship tendencies to pursue a strategy of engaging the U.S. while isolating South Korea." However, he expected that the Trump side, having significantly lowered expectations for the North Korean regime after the 'Hanoi No Deal' in February 2019, would not engage in negotiations in the same manner as before.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.