Jodu-sun Sentenced to 3 Months Imprisonment in First Trial for Unauthorized Absence
Interrupted Judge During Trial...Set Fine by Himself
Receiving Over 1 Million Won Monthly from Housing Benefits

Child sex offender Jo Doo-soon, who violated a nighttime outing restriction order and went out without permission, was sentenced to three months in prison in the first trial. It was also reported that he showed a bad attitude during the trial process, including interrupting the judge.

Jo Doo-soon answering questions from the press. <br>[Photo by Yonhap News]

Jo Doo-soon answering questions from the press.
[Photo by Yonhap News]

View original image

On the 20th, the Criminal Division 5 of the Ansan Branch of Suwon District Court (Chief Judge Jang Soo-young) sentenced Jo Doo-soon, who was indicted for violating the 'Electronic Monitoring Act,' to three years in prison and detained him in court. The court explained the sentencing by saying, "Despite the significant impact of the defendant's crime on public security administration, he has not shown sincere remorse, as he has tried to adjust and reduce the fine amount both to the investigative authorities and in this court." The court added, "The sentenced three months in prison does not reach the statutory maximum of imprisonment, but it is a period equivalent to detention in a labor camp close to a fine of 10 million won."


Jo Doo-soon maintained a bad attitude throughout the trial. He interrupted the judge’s orders and acted out unexpectedly. When asked if he had anything to say, he said, "There is a drama called 'Love and War (KBS 2TV).' While watching it, my wife left home 22 times." He continued, "There was a similar scene, so I went to the guard post to protest to my wife. Is going to the guard post wrong? Then should I have confronted my wife?"


Regarding the fine, he said, "The government gives me 1 million won a month," and requested a reduction, saying, "If I pay the fine, I will have no living expenses. Please reduce the fine." Earlier, Jo Doo-soon submitted an application for basic living security benefits to a district office worker who visited his home after his release. It is known that Jo Doo-soon’s wife has been receiving housing benefits as a welfare recipient. Ansan City provided Jo Doo-soon’s wife with housing benefits of up to approximately 225,000 won (based on a single-person household). After Jo Doo-soon’s release, they became a two-person household and additionally applied for livelihood benefits, receiving support exceeding 1 million won per month. Also, immediately after the sentencing, Jo Doo-soon questioned, "Am I detained?" and muttered to himself before being escorted out by officials.



Previously, Jo Doo-soon was sentenced to 12 years in prison for kidnapping and sexually assaulting a first-grade elementary school girl in Danwon-gu, Ansan City, in December 2008, and was released in December 2020. The court ordered special compliance measures for Jo Doo-soon after his release, including a nighttime outing ban (9 p.m. to 6 a.m.), alcohol prohibition (blood alcohol concentration above 0.03%), prohibition from entering educational facilities, and prohibition from contacting or approaching the victim (within 200 meters of the residence). However, on December 3 last year, at around 9:05 p.m., Jo Doo-soon left his residence in Danwon-gu, Ansan City, Gyeonggi Province, and went out without permission for about 40 minutes. Jo Doo-soon admitted to the charge, stating that he went out without permission due to a family dispute, saying, "I left after fighting with my wife."


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing