Judge's Question, "Will You Keep Bringing the Baby to Court?"... Lee Seon-gyun's Threatener Says "Yes"
Former Actor Holding Baby in Court
Baby's Crying Heard Throughout Trial
When Asked About Job, Responds "Self-Employed"
The manager of a nightlife establishment who extorted 300 million won from the late actor Lee Seon-gyun denied the charges in court on the 14th. The former actor, also indicted on the same charges, appeared in court holding a child and generally admitted to the charges.
On this day, Yonhap News reported that at the first trial held under the presiding of Judge Hong Eun-sook of the Incheon District Court Criminal Division 4, the defense attorney of A (30), the manager of the nightlife establishment who was detained and indicted on extortion charges, denied A's charges. A's attorney claimed, "She only informed (Lee) that she was being threatened by a hacker," adding, "We will provide specific opinions on the charges at the next hearing."
On the other hand, the defense attorney of former actor B (29), who was jointly indicted on charges including extortion and attempted extortion, said, "We generally admit the facts (in the indictment)," but added, "We will provide specific opinions at the next trial."
A woman in her 20s, accused of threatening the late actor Lee Seon-gyun along with a hostess of an entertainment establishment to extort money, is attending a pre-trial detention hearing at the Incheon District Court in Michuhol-gu, Incheon, on December 28 last year.
[Image source=Yonhap News]
Dressed in a green prison uniform, B appeared in court holding a baby, just as he did during the pre-detention suspect interrogation (warrant hearing) last December. Throughout the trial, the baby cried, and Judge Hong asked, "Can't the parents watch the baby? Are you going to keep bringing the baby to court every time?" B replied, "Yes." When the judge asked about his occupation and other details, he calmly answered, "Self-employed."
A was indicted for calling Lee in September last year and extorting 300 million won by saying, "My phone was hacked and I am being threatened, so I need money to keep quiet." Police investigations later revealed that the hacker threatening A was B, who lived in the same apartment and was on friendly terms with A.
Upon learning that A had used methamphetamine and was close to Lee, B committed the crime using an illegal SIM chip. When B failed to extort money from A, he directly threatened Lee. Between October 13 and 17 last year, B demanded 100 million won from Lee through threats and eventually extorted 50 million won.
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "This Strike Must Fail": Criticism Emerges Within Samsung as DS-MX Conflict Surfaces
- Individual Investors Absorb Foreign Sell-Off... Concerns Over Becoming "Cannon Fodder" Emerge
- Trump Holds Off on Iran Strike as Iran Submits New Ceasefire Plan...Markets Relieved (Comprehensive)
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
A was separately indicted and detained last November on charges of using methamphetamine or marijuana three times and is undergoing a separate trial. B has minor acting roles in films produced in 2012 and 2015.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.