Police Officers' Repeated Misconduct... Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency Chief Bowed His Head, "I Will Break the Chain"
Seoul Police Mobile Unit Drunk Assault and Sexual Crime
"Apologies to Citizens... Will Hold Appropriate Responsibility"
Station Chief Report and Inspection Officers Deployed on Site
Jo Ji-ho, Commissioner of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency, recently expressed a strong determination to respond firmly to the series of misconducts by Seoul police officers, stating, "I apologize to the citizens of Seoul. We will break the chain of misconduct."
Cho Ji-ho, Commissioner of the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency. [Image source=Yonhap News]
View original imageAt a press briefing on the 11th, Commissioner Jo said, "I have appealed to frontline police officers and made strong demands to managers. Starting this week, we will check whether these measures are being properly implemented and hold visible accountability," he stated.
Commissioner Jo specifically added, "I will receive reports from station chiefs and send Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency inspection officers to the field to verify whether management is being properly conducted." This is interpreted as a response to recent various misconducts, including drunk assault and sexual crimes by frontline police officers, including the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency's riot squad.
Commissioner Jo emphasized again, "If mistakes occur during work, we will protect within the permissible scope, but now issues unrelated to work are emerging," adding, "These are at a level that harms the public, and we will hold corresponding responsibilities."
Meanwhile, regarding the recent case where Noh So-young, director of the Art Center Nabi, filed a complaint against her secretary with the police, it has been confirmed that one of the accused has been summoned for police investigation.
Director Noh accused the secretary of embezzling over 2.6 billion won in dozens of instances and filed charges under the Act on the Aggravated Punishment of Specific Economic Crimes, including fraud and forgery of private documents. A police official stated, "One of the accused was investigated last month," and added, "The other will be investigated additionally."
Regarding the controversy over POSCO's lavish overseas board meetings, data analysis is currently underway. Commissioner Jo said, "We have requested data three to four times, and due to the large amount of data, analysis is ongoing," adding, "Once the analysis is complete, the direction of the investigation will be determined."
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "Not Jealous of Winning the Lottery"... Entire Village Stunned as 200 Million Won Jackpot of Wild Ginseng Cluster Discovered at Jirisan
- Controversy Over Mysterious Numbers at Starbucks: From Sewol Ferry and Park Geun-hye to May 18
- 'Tank Day' Controversy Draws International Attention... BBC: "Evokes Bloody Suppression of May 18 Gwangju"
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
Commissioner Jo also explained the allegations of Coupang's 'blacklist,' stating, "The investigation of the accuser in the case filed by Coupang has been completed, and the investigation of the accused is about to begin," adding, "After hearing both sides, a full-scale investigation will proceed."
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.