Landing on the East Sea after a 400km Flight

[Image source=Yonhap News]

[Image source=Yonhap News]

View original image

The Japanese government estimated that the ballistic missile launched by North Korea on the night of the 17th was a short-range ballistic missile that fell outside Japan's Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).


According to NHK, the Japanese Ministry of Defense announced that at around 10:37 p.m. on the same day, one ballistic missile was launched eastward near North Korea's west coast. The Ministry of Defense analyzed, "The missile's flight distance was about 400 km, and its maximum altitude was about 50 km."


The Japan Coast Guard stated at around 11:02 p.m. that the object presumed to be a ballistic missile had already fallen. So far, no damage to Japanese ships or aircraft has been reported. The Japanese government urgently convened officials from related ministries at the Prime Minister's Office Situation Room and conducted information gathering and damage verification operations.


The Japanese government strongly protested the missile launch by North Korea, stating that it threatens peace and security in the region. The government said, "North Korea's actions threaten the peace and security of our country, the region, and the international community, violate United Nations Security Council resolutions, and are a serious issue related to the safety of our citizens. We strongly protest and condemn this."


It added, "To protect the lives and property of our citizens, we will work closely with the United States, South Korea, and others to focus all efforts on information gathering, analysis, vigilance, and surveillance."


Kyodo News reported that the relationship between the intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) that North Korea is known to possibly launch this month and the missile launched on this day is unclear.


Kim Tae-hyo, First Deputy Director of the National Security Office, said to reporters upon entering the United States on the 14th (local time) to attend the 2nd Korea-US Nuclear Consultative Group (NCG) meeting, "I think there is a possibility of North Korea launching an ICBM in December as well."



Meanwhile, the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff announced that North Korea launched a ballistic missile into the East Sea on the day marking the 12th anniversary of Kim Jong-il's death. This was North Korea's first ballistic missile launch in 26 days since November 22.


This content was produced with the assistance of AI translation services.

© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.

Today’s Briefing