"Son Junho Returns to Family" After Klinsmann's Remarks... China Says "Will Handle According to Law"
Soccer Player Son Junho Detained in China for 6 Months
Jurgen Klinsmann, head coach of the South Korean national football team, expressed hope for the release of Son Jun-ho (Shandong Taishan), who has been detained by Chinese authorities for over six months. In response, China stated that it is "strictly handling the matter according to the law."
Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs: "China is a country governed by law"
On November 22, 2022, Son Jun-ho of the Qatar World Cup team was giving an interview before training at the Al Egla training ground in Doha, Qatar. [Image source=Yonhap News]
View original imageMao Ning, spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said at a regular briefing on the 23rd, when asked about Klinsmann's remarks, "The relevant party (Son Jun-ho) was arrested on charges of bribery as a non-state functionary (civil servant) in accordance with the law," adding, "Please check with the relevant Chinese authorities for specific updates on the case."
He continued, "China is a country governed by law," and stated, "The case is being handled strictly according to the law, and likewise, the legal rights and interests of the party involved are being guaranteed according to the law."
Coach Klinsmann: "I hope for good news about Son Jun-ho"
The national soccer team, which won 3-0 against China in the second round of the 2026 North and Central America World Cup Asian qualifiers, is responding to reporters' questions on the afternoon of the 22nd at the arrival hall of Terminal 2, Incheon International Airport. Photo by Yonhap News.
View original imageEarlier, the South Korean national football team secured a 3-0 victory in the second match of Group C in the 2026 North and Central America World Cup Asian second qualifying round against China, held on the 21st at the Shenzhen Universiade Sports Center in Guangdong Province, China, with two first-half goals by Son Heung-min (Tottenham).
After finishing this year's last A-match with a win, Coach Klinsmann said in an interview conducted after returning through Incheon International Airport on the 22nd, "I hope good news about Son Jun-ho will come like a Christmas gift." He added, "Since the exact charges have not yet been clarified, I hope the Chinese government will step forward so that Son Jun-ho can return to his family as soon as possible."
Son Jun-ho, who was active in a Chinese professional team, was detained on May 12 at Shanghai Hongqiao Airport while attempting to return home, on suspicion of bribery as a non-state functionary, and has been under investigation by the Chaoyang Public Security Bureau in Liaoning Province. Subsequently, the public security authorities converted the investigation to a detention-based inquiry as of June 17. It is known that detention-based investigations in China can last up to seven months, so it is uncertain how long the detention will continue.
Hot Picks Today
"Rather Than Endure a 1.5 Million KRW Stipend, I'd Rather Earn 500 Million in the U.S." Top Talent from SNU and KAIST Are Leaving [Scientists Are Disappearing] ①
- "No Cure Available, Spread Accelerates... Already 105 Dead, American Infected"
- "If That's the Case, Why Not Just Buy Stocks?" ETFs in Name Only, Now 'Semiconductor-Heavy' and a Playground for Short-Term Traders
- "Reporters Who First Revealed Jo Jinwoong's Juvenile Offense History Cleared of Juvenile Act Violation"
- "How Did an Employee Who Loved Samsung End Up Like This?"... Past Video of Samsung Electronics Union Chairman Resurfaces
Regarding this, South Korean diplomatic authorities have dispatched local diplomats to conduct consular meetings with Son Jun-ho and are maintaining close communication with the Chinese side. However, no significant updates have been reported so far.
© The Asia Business Daily(www.asiae.co.kr). All rights reserved.